visibleinnards.org Forum Index
visibleinnards.org Forum Index |  Register |  Log in to check your private messages  |  Log in |  FAQ |  Search | 
Vintage Plant Man Walder Monster

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    visibleinnards.org Forum Index -> reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hypnotator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: Vintage Plant Man Walder Monster Reply with quote

I never had a burning desire to get the Plant Man, as I consider him the least cool of the Walder Monsters, but it sat there on Ebay for so long that I was tempted by the Best Offer button. One day I shall hopefully own a Satan King and, along with my reissue Dokuro King, the three monsters in a row will look nice.

Itís the right shoulder that always put me off! How does he get through a door with that thing? The design of this costume has grown on me. He reminds me a little of Swamp Thing, and the various plants that he uses to constitute himself. Plant Man is like a mix of them all at once. The orange bits make him look part pumpkin. He also has machinery peeping from under his chest and weird metal cones for toes and four of his eight fingers. The hands and feet are probably the best part of the design. Those hands look like the clawed fingers hook into you while the cones puncture your flesh and pump something noxious, creosote perhaps, into you.

There is something insect about his compound eyes. He has a little pointy thing instead of a mouth, like a proboscis. Itís wiggling about, trying to get you.

This is the first vintage King Walder I have owned, and I already had a reissue green one. It would be nice to put the costume on the reissue and display the vintage as KW, but we all know that the vinyl of the costume will melt the inferior plastic of the reissue. Here is the reissue on the left and the vintage on the right.

The plastic of the reissue is much darker, more so than this photo shows. The vinyl of the head and hands discolours with age, though, so those of the vintage are darker. I could swap them just for a photo or two but I donít want to tempt fate by pulling the heads off these beautiful toys more often than I have to. Note that the top of the guts on the reissue has been trimmed down so that the guts rock side to side if you move the figure, whereas the guts on the vintage have a big bur of vinyl left on, which holds the guts in place.

Someone once asked on RJ, how can you tell a reissue from a vintage KW and I wrongly stated that I believed the vintage ones had solid plastic brains and guts, like the British Muton. I recommended squeezing the brains to test. Someone else who claimed to have vintage KWs said I was right, but we were both wrong; the vintage KW brain and guts are hollow vinyl, just like the reissue.

Here is the reissue brain, more green, on the left, and the vintage, more blue, on the right. The spots on the reissue eyes are bigger and silver, not white.
BAZ

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wouldn't happen to have a spare green left hand would yer? Very Happy
hypnotator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, mate. None of my stuff is for sale or to be parted with.
Neutron X

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoyed your review! Glad you picked up such a nice piece for your collection. The Plant Man has been my least favorite too but it does seem to grow on you over time.Congrats!
BAZ

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neutron X wrote:
The Plant Man has been my least favorite too but it does seem to grow on you over time.Congrats!

NO!!!!!
Even I wouldn't use THAT one!!!
hypnotator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oof!
BAZ

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start the new year off just right, eh????
johnnyhaggis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice score and review!

How much did you end up paying for him if I might be so crude as to ask?

Speaking of which, has anyone ever seen that episode of Kids In the Hall, where the Queen comes to hang out with some commoners and they get her to fart?
hypnotator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really, Johnny, our glorious Queen would never be so coarse.

The miserable old bag.
johnnyhaggis

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She ends up farting so much and so enthusiastically that they kick her out!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    visibleinnards.org Forum Index -> reviews All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: