visibleinnards.org Forum Index
visibleinnards.org Forum Index |  Register |  Log in to check your private messages  |  Log in |  FAQ |  Search | 
Vintage Android A and Invader J picture review
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    visibleinnards.org Forum Index -> reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hypnotator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Vintage Android A and Invader J picture review Reply with quote

The Androids and Invaders are part of the later wave of vintage Japanese Henshin Cyborg figures. Whereas Cyborg himself was cobbled together as an afterthought to Combat Joe with transparent plastic and few new moulds, these were conceived and designed as new Henshin Cyborg figures, and they take some of the ideas a little further. Ironically, these are less sought than Henshin Cyborg and King Walder, but collectability and value are linked to all sorts of other issues independant from how nice the toy actually is.

Android A is possibly the least exciting of the three Androids, the other two having seriously weird robotic heads, whereas his human outer head with the robotic inner brain is very much like Cyborgís, the main difference being the painted eyes. Someone must have decided that Cyborg didnít look friendly enough with his all transparent face, and that this was the answer. Personally, I prefer unpainted eyes. Despite being black in colour, Android Aís features look Caucasian and he has funky 70s sideburns.

Android Aís main gimmick is that his chest engine, unlike Henshin Cyborgís, is removable. The engine has rather nice transparent red plastic details. The little button at his navel allows the chest doors to open, but they donít spring open like British Androidís.

The engine has lots of nice chromed machinery detail on the front and back and so does the cavity it sits in.

The robotic brain also has the transparent red plastic for the eyes. The brain has a smooth band around the base, which is odd considering the machinery embellishments everywhere else on the figure, but the overall design is lovely. I think I can see a wicked little face in there.

Here is a back view. There is more lovely chrome detail on the outside of the chest cavity which you can see here.

His arms have cut-aways on the inside of the elbow joint so it can bend further. The hands are in a flat karate chop pose with the thumbs moulded flush, so he canít hold anything.

Iíve taken some shots of my British Android, which I have owned for years, to compare. He is a lot smaller, not further away.

British Androidís arms are the same as British Cyborgís and British Mutonís, except that they detach at the shoulder. They are less slender than Android Aís, lack the cut-away and the thumbs are not flush. You can see that the chromed machinery detail is less sharp and intricate, but then heís smaller so thatís inevitable.

For some reason Denys Fisher adapted the one Android A chest engine design that didnít house missiles for British Android. Android Aís companion figures Super A and Robot A have missiles which donít actually fire, but British Androidís missiles do fire, and inevitably get lost (I only got one with my figure).

Back view of British Android, and he has the same chest cavity detail. He has two clips for storing his missiles, which Android A lacks, and the missile firing lever on the chest engine protrudes through the hole so you can operate it. Iíve no idea what the purpose of the hole is on Android A.

I would like to thank Yojugod fro selling me the beautiful Android A figure and for his excellent after sale service. Thanks!

You can keep your swivel jointed reissue vinyl Invaders with the nipples on their shoulders. For me thereís no substitute for a vintage Invader, and J has to be the coolest of the three, with his weird antennae eyes and disgusting turkey ruff. Iíve already described the Invadersí eye colour changing gimmick. Suffice to say his chest eyes are a lovely green turning silver when you push his back button. This head sculpt is probably my favourite in all the Henshin Cyborg series.

He has little in the way of facial features, but then he already has a full face on his chest. The eyes are separate pieces of vinyl that swivel. That weird ruff goes all the way down the back of his head and dangles.

For me the Invadersí appeal is their ambiguity. Are they organic aliens or robots? I think theyíre a bit of both, perhaps as the result of hideously adapting themselves with their sinister science. A back view reveals machinery on the rear face of his bizarre chest face engine.

His inner head is nicely ambiguous too. It is transparent, with a little spray of silver paint at the front. Invader Jís red colour is solely the result of the red glitter particles suspended in the plastic; the plastic itself is colourless.

His hands and feet have the little circular cut-outs that reveal silver machinery that is somehow not visible through the transparent plastic. I love this touch! The hands and feet are rubbery vinyl, which usually goes cloudy with age. The feet on this figure have remained nice and clear, though.

yojugod

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hypno-

Nice review and pictures! A few clarifications on the Android. There are versions that do contain the missile firing apparatus intact, doubtlessly sold early on in the production run, then later modified to be harmless to idiots and children when the lawsuits started flying. So the hole in the back of the chest piece and his back are where the firing mechanism went. I don't recall where the missiles are/were stored on the firing version.

The body used for Android is pure Takara, no licensing from Hasbro needed, which was probably the main impetus for doing the new design. Medicom's RAH line licensed this body as well.
johnnyhottrod

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the pictorial-Lots of info i didnt know and i've tried to do as much research as i can given available sites and what not-I find the firing missile vs non deal interesting as i was a child when companies began to stop w/firing missiles on toys due to eye injury etc..My first memory of this was on my larger Getters back in the 70s....On a sidenote, if anyone ever wants to part w/either version of Android A please contact me..I've been trying for almost 2 years now and still havent managed to win one acution or hook up..
hypnotator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fascinating stuff, Yoju. I had no idea there were firing versions of the Japanese figures. I wonder what the price differential is. They must have redone the moulds in some way for the chest engines; I can't see a trace of anything.

I hadn't considered the licensing angle either. I've just checked and British Android carries the Hasbro license. Did the Invaders carry the hasbro license? They have GI Joe's u-bend pelvis!

I think you're meant to store the missiles for the Japanese figures in their chests, either side of the engine, but I couldn't get it to work.

Sorry, Johnnyhotrod, but I'll never part with this. If anybody has a Super A figure, though, or Invader O for sale, I'm interested.
johnnyhottrod

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy I wouldnt part w/it either-I think my best option is to put aside a big ass chunk of change and when the next one comes up on Ebay is to put in a huge max so no snipe can beat it...Have gotten nailed on the last 7 auctions at the last minute but hey thats collecting-lol
hypnotator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only seen two or three ever on Ebay. It might be worth asking Moonlabus if he'll look out for one for you. As you say, it's a good idea to have a pile of cash ready. Money talks.
tatsunokofan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all!

A very nice review! Just one minor nitpick, Henshin Cyborg was preceeded by New G.I. Joe, not Combat Joe. Combat Joe didn't come along until the 1980s, well after Henshin Cyborg, Invader, and Android Ace were all off the market.

In a nice bit of timing, just his afternoon I received the last of this trio of figures I needed for my collection, the Robot. They are a lot of fun, and make a fantastic addition to any Henshin Cyborg collection. And the Invader figures make a great foe for the Shonen Cyborg! Hey, before they finally made Walder Jr., he needed someone his own size to pick on!

James
hypnotator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stand corrected. I thought that Combat Joe was the Japanese name for GI Joe and that this was the basis for Henshin Cyborg, hence Medicom punning on the name with Cocobat Joe.

Congratulations on collecting all three. I look forward to doing the same one day, but when I have them and the three Invaders, what will I have to look forward to?
BAZ

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I LOVE my Invaders!!!! Oh, as far as I'M concerned Moonlabus is a twanny.
If that's insulting
EXCUSE ME!!!!
But I think he's a shill bidder on his own stuff.
johnnyhottrod

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seems to be a lot of that going on as of late-theres 2 sellers of vinyl that are doing the same dealio-If you want their names PM me.Dont want to start crap on this forum-It's too decent and peaceful...
hypnotator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's a "twanny", Baz? A cross between a twat and a pranny?

I'm not sure what a "shill" bidder is, either. Is this someone who creates another logon to bid their own auctions up?

I've bought a few things from Moonlabus, and he's been fine to deal with. He even put a freebie figure in with my last purchase. It's been mostly "buy it now" so no "shill" bidding that I'm aware of. He hasn't even taken offence at my outrageously low "best offer"s.
johnnyhottrod

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes hyp-tha is exactly what a shill bid is-I've dealt w/moonlabus and had all good experiences too..
johnnyhaggis

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's a pranny?

Moonlab is the enemy! Whenever something is cheap on yahoo japan, and you're the only person interested in it, you can GUARANTEE that as an agent of Satan, Moonlab will be there to either drive the price up to your maximum bid or usually beyond. And then the same stuff ends up on ebay at exorbitant rates! He has fucked up my cheap ass finds so many times - aargh!!

I believe you at that he's a good seller, but he's still the spawn of beelzebub.

Nice review by the way Hypno! That's a really nice figure. Nice to have something different than same cyborg, different colours inside!

I like this one better than the robot heads.

And the invader is also a great item! Such creativity in making these things!
johnnyhottrod

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LMFAO!!!!-I agree w/you johnny i'm only saying i havent gotten ripped of by him-All flips are the enemy IMO
johnnyhaggis

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If any of us ever goes to japan, we gotta hunt him down and teach him a lesson! What does LMFAO mean?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    visibleinnards.org Forum Index -> reviews All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: