visibleinnards.org Forum Index
visibleinnards.org Forum Index |  Register |  Log in to check your private messages  |  Log in |  FAQ |  Search | 
The LORD Emperor METO, MetalLion, etc...

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    visibleinnards.org Forum Index -> reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GUYx1
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: The LORD Emperor METO, MetalLion, etc... Reply with quote

Well,
I guess it is time for me to actually write a REVIEW of a toy.
It just wouldn't be in my nature to just review some toy that can be found any day of the
week.

Long ago in a world far away there were Mego Collectors obsessed with a toyline
called MICRONAUTS. When HOUR TOY's remake of Micronauts, called
Interchangeables arrived...

well apparently few of us noticed as the toys ended up going to clearance pretty fast.

Eventually collectors found them in the clearance bins of Toys R Us and we were
enthralled with the amazingly awful new color schemes and p*ss poor quality of the
toys!
(Note the SUBLIMINAL MisSpelling of the boxed toy below)

However for people who could not find Micronauts anymore, this was something new
and exciting.
When you live in a world where the internet is lightyears away, a YELLOW
Hydrocopter doesn't seem completely insane.
(Of course making the pieces actually FIT TOGETHER is another story)
The BRITTLE Plastic sometimes wasn't THAT bad and the wiggly magno figures (with
godawful names like CAPTAIN COSMO) were tolerable with a bit of glue to stop the
pieces from rattling.
It was a pretty lackluster toyline that left me frustrated beyond words, yet
thanks to Palisades I can now appreciate Interchangeables in a whole NEW light.
Who would have thought it would take the shoddy manufacturing of MODERN toys to
make the old toys seem wonderful by comparison?
What we experienced was very much like the feeling people had when Palisades had all
their blunders with Micronauts releases.
At the time these toys hit the shelves, there was still a lot of MYSTERY to the toyline.
Few in the USA had ever seen the UNRELEASED mego toys which were issued by
GIG in Italy. To collectors who thought they had seen everything, Lord Meto &
MetalLion were a STARTLING revelation! Brilliant beyond belief. A crap toyline and
then thse guys? What planet did these things come from?

Fast Forward a couple decades and everybody & his brother can look up a
CHECKLIST of what was or wasn't produced (as well as every color variation there
of).

Technically this is a 2nd Series Metallion. Yeah NOBODY apparently turned up one in
the 1st series, but it has the same stock #.
The Toy was in SEALED condition, with a warning from the seller that the item was
sold AS IS.
Due to the questionable quality, SEALED Interchangeables toys are not always
considered a GOOD thing, but sometimes something to be wary of. Recent Auction
listings for BOXED (sealed) Interchangeables have on occasion hinted at potential
HORROR stories yet to come.
It is a grab bag. I love the Grey & red steed, but HATE the Red & white Steed. One is
great, the other is crap.
LOOSE figures tend to be a good way to tell if your toy is a "SURVIVOR" or one
destained for an early death shortly after leaving it's coccoon-like package.

Ahyway, NOTHING SEEMED TO BE RATTLING inside, this would hopefully be a
good one. (cross my fingers, knock on wood)
This sort of thing is seriously NOT the kind of thing you like to read about when you are
already uncertain of purchasing the item to begin with!

Actually opening the box felt like I was voiding the warrently on a New DVD player or
Videogame system by suping it up with a new chip and soldering Iron.

Each Incarnation of these releases has many various shades of differences.

The Lord Meto & Emperor are pretty close,
however the Mego Emperor has a Vinyl Cape and PALE Glow paint & actual GLOW Plastic
The Interchangeables Lord Meto has a Rubber cape (and rubber head!) yet has more defined painted face details. The plastic is MOCK Glow plastic & the missile cones are often GLUED
into the backpack.

The Palisades version features their ever imfamous "Radioactive" colored translucent green plastic and (better safe than sorry) used a Cloth cape.
This Emperor (wobbly kneed as he was) weatured an EXCLUSIVE new shoulderpad gimick for displaying the cones
For the 1st time the Cone Bits were manufactured in OPPOSITE colors of the previous versions.

Unfortunately no way for me to tell if that was Innovation, or just another of Palisades CHance screwups...

At any rate, Lord Emperor Meto and his war steed Metallion were the best of the toyline. METALLION was one of the Interchangeables items which never seemed to turn up.

Before all the Italian Micronauti figures hit the shores, Lord Meto and Metallion were the coolest Magno figures imaginable.

When Micros were at the height of popularity, this figure would have been GOLD.
However given the current economy, today… not so much.

Micro collector Tom Vigneau once told me that there was a warehouse find of these in
Canada a few years back. Somehow after all my years of searching I missed out on
that, but eventually this little fella landed in my hands. Two of them came up for sale
within days, and the other is in the hands of Jonathan Ross.

Truth be told, this is really not a bad toy. Definately not as sturdy as mego, but far better
than Palisades. Plus he's got those little buggy eyes.
While Palisades does have the STRONGER plastic, the joints & springs are awful. The
Palisades figures will fall (and launch) over in a light breeze.

The figure didn't have "too many" of the rubber burns common to Interchangeables and
the color scheme works great with his Italian Cousins Pegasus & Lantaurion.

For all their help in acquiring these toys throughout the Years, I need to send an Old
School thanks to John Bonavita, Ben Massie, Christiano Rucco, Mike Parisi, Tom
Vigneau, Reuben Torres, Even Stoddard, Brandan Stepp, Kristoph E., Alex Corbin,
Tom Franck, and countless others I may have forgotten to mention...

Just to make things feel a little more like home, here is THE CLUTTER shot...

If there proves to be an interest, I may review other classic toys...

If anyone is interested, I know where there is another Metallion toy MIB for sale from a
foreign dealer. Just shoot me an email.

Last edited by GUYx1 on Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:06 am; edited 4 times in total
hypnotator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely review and pics, Guy. I see you were wearing a red tee shirt that day.

None of the Hour Toy or Lion Rock stuff ever made it here to Englnad, as far as I'm aware, so I didn't even know about this one. Metal Lion, eh? He doesn't look like a lion. Those semi human horse heads really are the weirdest. They are a curious addition to the Micronauts line, only appearing in the European and post Micronauts toys. They really are like something from one of my toy dreams. I think the designer maybe took too much acid. The hair looks like an embellishment on some piece of furniture.

Why FOUR Emperors? I presume they are all different versions.
johnnyhaggis

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice review! Palisades has STRONGER plastic?? My palisades karza's horse's legs each snapped like toilet paper within ten minutes of opening the box!

Man when I was a kid this figure was everywhere. I was never interested in anything but Cosmo Man though so I never got one. But he is a serious baaaadass.
bryanarchy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

man, those look so great! I love the sort of alienish eyes on horsie!
GUYx1
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is weird. I expected that everyone whould know what the toy was, and the contect it fit into.
The "Fly Head" Horse seemed really amazing until the Mego/Lionrock stories started to surface. Now it viewed as more of a color VARIATION, vs an original figure. Still I love the Black & gold color scheme much more than the colors of the King Atlas & Green Baron steeds.

Johnny, you were lucky to be young enough to be in the shops when these things hit.
I only found them on clearance, as Japanese and UK collectors sent me on the ever more impossible "Fishing Trips".

While Palisades had loads of problems putting in the joint rivets (causing either loose joints, or cracked joints), the interchangeables were just fine in that respect. Same with the missile launchers.
However the plastic was noticably weaker and brittle.

A thin, FLAT color plastic, not the durable, glossy plastic sheen we are all used to. Some toys were not so bad, but others were horrid.
The GIANT ACROYEAR was particularly awful.
I thought that thing was a horror at $3.99 on clearance, but of $99+ forget it!

The colorscheme just works so well with this FLY guy.
Took me forever, but I am glad to finially cross taht old item off my wishlist ( albeit 15 years later)
bryanarchy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i really like the gold and black color scheme too. This toy looks great!
Neutron X

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GREAT JOB GUY!
I am a big fan of the color schemes for the Interchangables. I wish I could have found them all on clearance! I had a collection of Micronauts that I let go long ago and would like to pick a few choice pieces soon.
I appreciate all your thoughts on quality. I really like knowing as much as I can before spending the cash and being dissapointed. The comparisonpic sare great too!
microbry

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Color change at Palisades was intentional. Reply with quote

The Palisades horse all had crap knees except the two opague Megas (grey/off-white and the black and gold one). The series 1 opague Andromeda might have been okay, too, but probably not as good as the series 2 Megas opagues. The clear green Megas was a mess.

The reversed colors on the missile pack was in fact intentional along with other changes. I did the color model for it and all the other Palisades micros (though most of the decisions on color choices were not mine to make--with a few happy exceptions), and I remeber Ken Lilly wanted to change it to help make the Palisades "variant" more unique, and yeah I thought it turned out pretty nice. I really liked how the clear-ish green GITD parts came out, too. I didn't like the choice of all-black launchers on Megas though, and tried to convice him otherwise. The off-white Emperor/Megas was my own idea, though the plastic was supposed to be all GITD material. I liked the idea of giving him a ghastly ghostly appearance to run with the skull-like face. The chrome was supposed to be a deeper blue though, inspired by the Stellari Cavalieri magnos--but I'm happy they chromed the missiles on that Megas, it came out real nice IMHO (I had also wanted to get a Repto and Galactic Defender in with chrome weapons like on some of my customs, but ah well). Too bad factory 2 STILL screwed up the centaur interchangability, though. Sad

If anyone has a really cool color scheme they'd like to see Emperor and Megas in, I still have my model data and could probably whip it up sometime.

The bug-eyed Metallion is superb. I wish we did one of those horseheads in the Palisades run.

My biggest regret is that we didn't get the new Red Falcon accessory made that Ray and I came up with--it would have mounted the extra bird parts onto a new extra core module that had a seat for a Micronaut on it...I really wanted to see that as it would have both added a vehicle to the Palisades run as well as crossover the Magnemo stuff with the regular figures more. Smile

Really, you guys don't have to wonder about how and why on the Palisades stuff, just ask me or Ray and we can most likely tell you what happened. Smile
BAZ

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That C.A.R.P. looks NOTHING like a fish.
Wot a swizz!!!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    visibleinnards.org Forum Index -> reviews All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: