visibleinnards.org Forum Index
visibleinnards.org Forum Index |  Register |  Log in to check your private messages  |  Log in |  FAQ |  Search | 
Roboid now available! Limited to 10

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    visibleinnards.org Forum Index -> walder approved non-cyborg toys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
microbry

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 1:58 am    Post subject: Roboid now available! Limited to 10 Reply with quote

ROBOID: New Micro Custom Action Figure From ATR Hobby! by Argonaut X, on Flickr

Austin just completed the final touches on his Roboid project, a limited run of only ten hand-cast figures based on the highly rare original micro-figure with a few alterations. These are now available at his blog site at a price of $90 (plus S&H).

I have the privilege of owning a couple of his other custom-cast figures and the quality is unmatched, rivaling anything else I've collected. They are cast in full color (only the silver parts are painted), pre-assembled, and even have rivet articulation. He is way underpricing these given the costs, effort and time involved in making them, as this is a dedicated fan effort made for fans.

Given the popularity of this character and rarity of the original figure I don't expect this very short one-time run will remain available for long.

More info on his blog, Homeworld: http://micronautshomeworld.blogspot.com/

You can also check out 3 pages of Austin's amazing customs here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56755375@N03/

The packaging also features art by Alexis "Argonaut X" Dyer!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/argonaut-x/5579283454/[/img]
microbry

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit surprised there's been no comments yet, but as a heads up as of today there are currently seven still available. Smile
Neutron X

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They all look great!
microbry

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Sales closed :) Reply with quote

Directly from Austin, who is having issues with Blogger right now:

" I would like to thank everyone for their support and interest in Roboid. Ordering is now closed for this run. There are no more figures left for sale. Again, thank you and to those who purchased one, I hope you enjoy the figure.

Best Wishes,

Austin"

If anyone here is still interested in one, definitely contact him though, as I know he is keeping some of the ten for trades and such. Smile Anyone here order one?
hypnotator

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I think I have. I didn't want to post on this thread and encourage people until mine was in the bag, sorry, but I let him know I want one. He hasn't invoiced me yet but we have communicated and I assume he will and that my order has contributed to the close of sale. Thanks for the tip off, Bry! The transparent chestpiece looks like an improvement on Mini Robotman design, which this was apparently based on. I can't wait!
microbry

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, he mentioned to me you were the 5th in line. So I think you'll hear from him shortly.

And indeed, it is mostly molded from an original Mini-Robotman (from my own collection) with a few minor alterations (no working tread rollers, claws instead of micro-hands, no rivets in the hips, just 5mm peg/socket connection, and new colors). He made the canopy piece clear at my suggestion, in fact. Smile This originally started as a project I "seeded" a few years back on the now mostly defunct "Generation Micro". Austin (Gold Dober) really rose to the challenge and for his first non-private effort, did an absolutely incredible job. I do hope we'll see more from him in the future.

His alternate colored ones on his Flickr account are amazing, too. I think I'll be getting one of his in the crystal Robotman colors along with the main version... Smile Can't wait!
hypnotator

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow I'll have to check those out. It makes me wish I had more time for my own customs.
hypnotator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy birthday to me! My wife gift wrapped my Roboid for me and I opened him today.

Gorgeous! And very unique. Iím really glad I seized the brief opportunity to own this one. For a home produced custom, the quality is amazing.

Here he is next to my only Mini Robotman.

Thanks to Austin for producing this beautiful toy and thanks to Microbry for the tip off.
KB

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy birhtday Hypno,

For a home spun product Roboid is exceptional.

Shame mini robotman is so rare (oh, I used the word, but in this case I think it is justified, he's certainly not common).
hypnotator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mate! I spent most of the day reading the new Chester Brown (controversial!) and watching Svankmajer's shorts. Both were presents from the missus.

Yeah Mini Robotmen are probably the hardest vintage Microman to find. I don't mind saving my pennies for 'em but I always seem to get outbid by one increment. I'm lucky to have the one, I know.

Roboid makes me think I should try and mass produce next time I customize.
Alex77

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that figure is great, are you able to rearrange him into tank mode?

Is that the Chester Brown - Paying For It book Hypno? I was thinking of reading that one myself.

And Svankmajer is indeed the man! His Alice s true work of animation genius. Have you seen anything by the Brothers Quay? their stuff's of a similar style I think. There's a great BFI DVD available of both
hypnotator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tank parts for my Mini Robotman are in the box, which is nested inside other boxes in my attic, so I dunno, but I don't see why not as Roboid is cast from a Mini Robotman but without the diecast.

Yeah "Paying For It". You read Brown? It's better than Louis Riel, which was rather dull, but not on a par with the surreal classic "Underwater". It's selling out everywhere though you'll be lucky to pick one up.

Hee hee the first time I ever saw Svankmajer and the Quays I was on mushrooms! Wotta headfuck!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    visibleinnards.org Forum Index -> walder approved non-cyborg toys All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: