visibleinnards.org Forum Index
visibleinnards.org Forum Index |  Register |  Log in to check your private messages  |  Log in |  FAQ |  Search | 
Custom Cyborgs
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    visibleinnards.org Forum Index -> general henshin
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GUYx1
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:05 am    Post subject: Custom Cyborgs Reply with quote

カスタム変身サイボーグフィギュア

I have been meaning to start this for some time now.

Cyborg as it now stands is a toyline that you just had to be there for.

The Japanese tend to be of an ALL OR NOTHING sorta mentality

When it is big, you get over priced and under produced Items ate every toy show.

When a toyline wanes, well. You get people writing articles on forums, getting all nostalgic.

At present, TRIBUTE toys for Cyborg see more action than actual Cyborgs.

The tribute figures (which people seem to leave in the header bags) donít even have articulation.

You have no idea how depressing it gets for me when people go nuts to have every tribute figure,

Yet do not own a single Cyborg. A few break down and buy ONE just so they have it, but keep it IN THE BOXÖ

I know people get that way, but why not do something cool with Cyborg.

When I see Mutonís Cyborg collection and see scores of MODERN NHC cybo figures and Invader vinyls all snug in their wee little boxes, STILL SEALED.

I get a little dismayed.

If a bloody Neo Henshin Cyborg has to spend itís life in a box, what hope is there?

Those figures are cheap, hard to lose parts for and just plain fun.

I have a garage stacked high with all those stupid boxes.

Do you think I even CARE which box has a sticker that says it is Black Clear A or Copper Color B?

I remember buying the figures NEW. I had to preorder them from the comic shop and drop $40 in 1998-1999 money per figure. Now the figures are comparatively much more affordable.

You can go to YJA and buy yourself a mini collection of different colors for 4000 yen.

Now the time has come to bring Cyborg back to life.

We have duplicate accessories and Itís not like anyone else is bothering to come up with new costumes.

My plan is to actually break down and POST some pix of Cyborgs gone custom.

Like all my stuff I just do it for me and really donít expect people to take notice.

Maybe we can toss around a new idea or two.

At this point, we probably have some interesting IdeasÖ

Has anyone out there made any Custom Cyborgs? I know there was Patrick's AWESOME Kikkaider that I can never get enough of.

We are the toys who once were and shall be again.

Long live the new fleshÖ

Last edited by GUYx1 on Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
hypnotator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah we all paid too much for Neos when they first came out.

Beautiful customs as usual, Guy. The hands and hand weapons particularly intrigue me. I presume you have painted up the Magma mutators yourself, maybe with acrylic paints (it would need to be flexible). The Plantman hands on the Orange Elquebird are a nice touch. I expect you took these from a vinyl Kaijin. Not too sure about the Tintin figure. Iím a huge fan of Herge but decent figures of the bubble headed reporter are few and far between. Iíve seen good ones in France but at frightening prices.

I agree about the tribute vinyls; they have absolutely no appeal to me, and I also feel that toys should come out of the box, no matter how much they cost, but each to their own.

As you know Guy, I have some Neo customs in the pipeline; I just havenít done them yet. Watch this spaceÖ

The blue stripey shorts are the coolest.
Lee Chappell

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. Interesting and well thought little tirade of sorts there , Guy. kinda let down by the fact that you can clearly see toys (Micronauts) on the wall all STILL in the packaging Laughing

I guess you were on about Cyborgs specifically so.. Wink
GUYx1
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh THOSE little things... Never mind them.. Those are just for decoration. Trust me I have freed scores of them.
Embarassed

My micros and xevoz have led as much a life of constant mutation as my megos.

Secret Base has always been influenced by Henshin Cyborg.
Sadly I have run out of heads specifically produced for CYBOS, so I ended up playing Oranges & Lemons with the Skullbee toyline.

There are more customs coming, I am still trying to work out obtaining enough bodies to display them.
I tend to be rather minimalist, so aside from the silver detailing I actually didn't actually paint the accessories. The Orange internal Mecha was airbrushed..

You can't find anyone around anymore who was in the thick of things in 1999. From the time I remember hearing all about the mythical WALDER wings. I was told that in 1999, Japanese wrestling superstore 'Shotguntoy' had been selling them. After much work, I located them, however they have not returned any emails to that crazed Gaijin asking about Walder wings.

The wings used here were actually produced by Takara in 1999 and have magnos which match the Walder back joints.
Eventually when I perfect everything I will find a proper paint that inspires me.
The Takara lightweight wings work better than the MacFarlene pvc wings I had previously outfitted with Karza magnetic bits, but ALL magno wings seem to be a bit TOO heavy to be perfect for all poses. The BEST method would be wings outfitted with full-on shoulder joints, again requiring yet MORE bodies.
Rolling Eyes

I have de carded loads of micros, but at least they weigh less for seconary postage from japan.
dokuroking

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woah there were actual Waruda wings? I've never even heard of them at all. Do you think they were one day or specialty items? I was collecting those then as well and in Japan shopping for them too. I saw tons of the heads but never wings. That would be great if they surface though. The Vampiza wings are a good substitute for now though. Hurricane Birds are a nice fit too.
GUYx1
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything back then was a one day license produced in short runs. And resale prices were I N S A N E . Reuben was offering up to $1000 for some of that stuff, driving up the prices. And he was really fickle about that stuff a few months later. The net was not what it is today and when there was a deal you had to go through the agents. There is no documentation on any of that stuff. Like The Glow in the dark Cyborg accessories. Cool stuff, but noone documented what was produced, so its like finding a needle in a haystack without knowing what the needle even looks like! Who knows what the wings look like. Probably SOMETHING like what came out for the micros, but there aren't any pix and the websites from that time are long gone. If you buy an overpriced MEGA lot - the kind that cost 30,000 yen- , you MIGHT get ONE rare piece and even more questions (plus a massive postage bill that will really kick you).
The thing we forget in our internet revised history of Cyborg is that the relaunch tanked and it tanked hard, just like the micro rerelease in 1999.
Some of the innovations were Genius. Some of the Micro reissues were the forerunners of BeastWars. But these toys went over just like Famous covers figures did for mego fans. The reimagined Takara toys were well thought out and ahead of their time, but quickly discarded when the REAL microman & cyborg reissues came out. Screw The little buggers with the one magno stick hand thingys! I want repro Lady Commanders that don't cost $350 a whack. Limited editions in unpopular toylines are the most painful thing in the world to collect.
But guess that's why I am into this in the first place.
If only the Production drawing monster items were to have been made. Cyborg's original feel was lost until the Cybo Fan "Take-Sh*t" got together with Medicom and made COCOBAT toys. Before that it was just an awesome new body scheme with a limitless pile of hand attachments (and some half-arsed costumes based on whatever was cheapest to license at the time).
KB

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The silver and black satan king chest plate looks far better than the red ever did.

Sounds like the scars from the great cyborg rush of 99 run deep.

Look forward to seeing some more pics of customs
GUYx1
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks man. Yes 1999 was frustrating, but so was the next re-issue that was under produced and people actually gave a rots arse about.
At least I can say I was somewhat prepared for SB & BxH & VxFxCx & DxSxHx and all the other acronyms.
Most of the 1990's stuff wasn't worth the trouble anyway.

My biggest issue with trying to come up with something new and interesting that people have overlooked is that I tend to lean toward the less is more minimilist side. I Look fot Takata's "Hidden faces" and try to work with what I've got.
I have one design I have been working on, but

1) too much color looks garrish and cartoony. (mixing the gold & the silver + [primary colors)
2) Color spray paints often end up sticky and I don't have the poisonous imported paints that will adhere to anything.

3) experimentation blows.
I may have enough vinyl bits to experiment with, but I sure as hell don't have enough to scrap the whole bloody thing if the paint fooks up.

If I pull parts from existing toys I'm half way there.
Repainting the whole thing top to bottom from scratch is something I'm
not as comfortable with. But I'm trying to nudge people in the right diretion at least.
Baby steps...
marswillrule

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might not be a custom in the same way you guys are talking. But here are more pics of my custom dokuro king.

http://www.skullbrain.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=37954
GUYx1
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff.
What paint did you get to actually adhere to the vinyl without getting tacky?
Prometheum5

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I used Monster Kolor paints.

http://monsterkolor.bigcartel.com/products

They are the best airbrushing paints you can buy and designed specially for vinyl.
hypnotator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful custom!
Neutron X

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GUY fantstic job! CYBORG ARMY WILL RULE THE UNIVERSE. I think the custom Cyborg thread is a great idea too. Now we will all have to search the universe for Neo Cyborgs and the like for projects.

Prometheum5, Excellent custom. I like the color orange accent color. The black Cyborg body is a great choice.

Melted Cyborgs Question: Has anyone used a dremel to buff out melted Cyborgs? Just wondering if the buffing could bring a Cyborg back.

Last edited by Neutron X on Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
hypnotator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm good luck with that.
GUYx1
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually cut off melts then use an 8 sided sanding block to buff.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    visibleinnards.org Forum Index -> general henshin All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: