visibleinnards.org Forum Index
visibleinnards.org Forum Index |  Register |  Log in to check your private messages  |  Log in |  FAQ |  Search | 
Bootleg Geometric Cyclops and Ymir

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    visibleinnards.org Forum Index -> walder general
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hypnotator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:27 pm    Post subject: Bootleg Geometric Cyclops and Ymir Reply with quote

You lookiní at me?? You fuckiní lookiní at me??

Baz spotted this fellow in shot a few weeks ago when he lacked paint. Now he is finished!

No sunny day here, so an inferior photo session Iím afraid.

Also my pics didnít capture his lovely cloven hooves.

Last edited by hypnotator on Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
Lee Chappell

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Class, Hypno! Sheer class!

A cracking series of shots of a seriously well painted model. Great subject matter too - the Harryhausen Cycops. Sinbad n all that eh? Gotta love it!

What make is the kit?

Didn't a variation of this beastie appear in Jack The Giant Killer film? Used to love that one... seem to recall it having two heads. I'll have to consult my Harryhausen book...........

Shame Jack The Giant Killer film is only on region 1 dvd..

More pics of your handywork as and when Hypno, please!
hypnotator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Lee! The kit was originally by Geometric, a Japanese company, but mine is a bootleg from the bargain bins of a Birmingham Memorabilia stall.

Yep the Cyclops is one of Harryhausenís best. The first two Sinbad movies are the height of his powers. None of the monsters from Golden Voyage would make quite as good model kits, though. The Kali sequence is amazing, but turn her into a model and she looks like a standard Hindu mantelpiece decoration. I really would love a Seventh Voyage Dragon and there are a few versions out there.

Jack the Giant Killer - I havenít seen that one since I was a kid. I do have a great pic of the two-headed giant in one of my horror movie books, though, and looking it up, it turns out this wasnít actually a Harryhausen film (despite what Wikipedia says); the special effects are by Howard A. Anderson. It stars the same good guy and bad guy actors as Seventh Voyage, though, Kerwin Matthews and Torin Thatcher, and the same director and writer, Nathan Juran.

One of the monsters is a thin rip-off of Harryhausenís Cyclops, being almost identical in design apart from having two eyes, and the two-headed giant also has satyr legs. They arenít quite as cool as Harryhausenís designs but theyíre still pretty damn cool. Now that Iíve looked into it, Iíd love to see this movie again too. Is there a corridor lined with arms that swing swords, or was that another movie?

I couldnít find many images of the movie on Google images, but I did find some toys, would you believe?

http://monsterkidclassichorrorforum.yuku.com/topic/23981/t/JACK-IN-THE-BOX-fake-Jack-the-Giant-Killer-playset.html

http://monsterkidclassichorrorforum.yuku.com/reply/649637/t/Re-More-Aurora-Models-never-done.html

And the original armature of the two-headed giant on auction!

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/6321518

I have another Harryhausen kit in the pipeline. Watch this space.
Hotmitts

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrr beautiful.
BAZ

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice! And the movie is on this afternoon! Have to DVR it to watch tonight!
thebigr

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice!
hypnotator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the companion kit, Ymir, bought from the same bargain bootleg dustbin on the same occasion. I sort of started these at the same time but I gave the Cyclops priority. Now I have them finished, I like both equally.

Again this is a bootleg of a kit by Geometric. Most of you will know that the Ymir is from 20 Million Miles to Earth, an earlier, black and white movie with special effects by Ray Harryhausen and once again directed by Nathan Juran.

The Ymir is brought back from Venus and he grows to a giant size and runs amok, very like King Kong, until they bazooka him. He also gets to fight an Elephant like Gwangi does.

The tail is beautiful, despite the forked tip like an earwigís, but itíll take up lots of shelf space.
GUYx1
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice detailing Hypno! I especially like the eye work.
KB

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely paint work, must have taken you ages.
hypnotator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks boys!

Actually it was a fairly quick paint job. The puttying job took longer, and you can still see the joins, dammit. But I had to wait three weeks for new 0000 brushes to finish painting the eyes, which is why I completed this project just a couple of days before the SVL KWII set. A whole load of stuff reached the end of the conveyor belt with just the finishing touches to be done.
Neutron X

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job missed your posting!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    visibleinnards.org Forum Index -> walder general All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: