visibleinnards.org Forum Index
visibleinnards.org Forum Index |  Register |  Log in to check your private messages  |  Log in |  FAQ |  Search | 
Ashley Wood Bertie

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    visibleinnards.org Forum Index -> walder approved non-cyborg toys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hypnotator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:12 pm    Post subject: Ashley Wood Bertie Reply with quote

Johnny Haggis alerted me to Ashley Wood figures some time ago, before he went off the radar. I was hoping to see one in person before buying, but there seems to be very little interest here in the UK, so I took the plunge on Ebay and I’m not disappointed.

This is actually a “Dirty Deeds” Bertie, which I think refers to the paint job. There are just a handful of Ashley Wood figure designs and a seemingly infinite number of paint jobs, which makes for lots of expensive exclusives. Also a handful of accessories get recycled between all the figures.

I should point out that the paint job is exquisite, part of what makes the figure, along with the full articulation of the hands. Every finger joint bends but the fingers don’t splay much.

Ashley Wood is a comics artist. I haven’t read any of his stuff. Ironically the comic artists I love, like Woodring and Ware, produce toys I don’t want to collect.

The door in his chest looks like it might open but unfortunately it doesn’t. The groove below it is actually the figure’s high waist joint. Those tiny legs would be a bit slow covering ground, and he’d be top heavy.

The hands give him great expression, despite his otherwise un-human design.

I’ve bought another Ashley Wood figure on preorder.

Lee Chappell

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice indeed! Almost steam punk in appearance.
KB

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great review, the figure looks exceptional, I assume that the rust is part of the paint job - very nicely done.

Thanks for sharing the pictures, I've not seen these before.
Alex77

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing pics, thanks for posting. There are some really nice paintings Ashley Wood's done with these robots in that I've seen somewhere. The toys replicate the effect really well.

Ashley Woods ressurected Tank Girl, last year I think. Don't know how I'd compare his take to Jamie Hewlett's originals. Was fun seeing them go the other route, dressing her up in smart suits etc.
hypnotator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rust is indeed part of the paint job. I should have said that he is entirely plastic, despite him looking like metal.

Now I'm seeing "DIY" white versions of AW figures that you paint yourself. Tempting...

I'm going to have to check out Wood's comics. I had no idea he worked on Tank Girl.

Check out Ankou and Popbot, gents:

http://www.battlegrip.com/?p=16635

http://tenacious-toys.blogspot.com/2010/07/threea-popbot-and-badbot-coming-in-fall.html
KB

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Senility must be kicking in - While I haven't seen this robot before, Clone posted on other robots in this series

http://visibleinnards.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1476&highlight=dropcloth

Must admit I prefer this one with the domed head to the flat head ones.

It certainly had me fooled - looked like it was metal.

The articulation of the hands/fingers really does allow for expresion
Hotmitts

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are nice. They seem to come in two scales, 12 inch and micronaut type scale.
You might want to save some pennies for one of these;

http://www.threeaonline.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/mongrol_web.jpg

Hope for more ABC warriors !
hypnotator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’d forgotten Clone’s thread too, dawk! Dropcloth and Bramble both have those flat dustbin heads, which are also a bit reminiscent of the robots from Disney’s Black Hole. Dropcloths can still be found at original prices but Bramble has already gone up to $300+.
I wasn’t aware that 3A did micro scale figures. The Bertie reviewed here is around 6” tall though he is meant to go with the 12” figures.
I had seen the 3A Tharg figure, which looks disappointing, but I hadn’t seen Mongrol. He looks fantastic!
KB

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Hotmitts, Mongral looks very cool indeed, ready to smush some volgs.

Hope they do the other ABCs too!
Hotmitts

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rumour has it that Mongol is 15 inches tall, certainly he's 1/6 scale. So a lovely big robot toy, but no doubt expensive.
The other rumour is that the next figure will be Rogue Trooper. I was hoping for General Blackblood (hisss) or Deadlock, personally.
Any toy based on a Kev O'Neill or Mike McMahon robot would be worth a look.
Don't know if I can justify the price to my girly, think the Mongol might be around £150 at a guess.
hypnotator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackblood and Deadlock are the obvious choices from the ABC Warriors, but unless they undertake to do all of them, they may not do any more, and how would they do the Mess? They could do him as Steelhorn, I suppose, who appears in a couple of panels before he gets melted, and was a pretty good design wasted. Or they could do some of the Ro-Busters. In the Nemesis strip the ABC Warriors and Ro-Busters got mixed up anyhow. Ro-Jaws was a good design, but would he make a decent figure, and how would you stand him up? My vote would be to see Doctor Feely-Good, and the traffic light robot, I think he was called Gottlieb.
Hotmitts

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't even remember a traffic light robot, might have to track down some ABC warrior book collections if they're not too expensive. I remember Happy Shrapnel dancing around in a nightie.

Hypno, where did you see those unpainted Ashley Woods ?

Though how you'd match some of that rust technique I'm not sure. Splatter gun?
hypnotator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gottlieb had a rectangular torso with traffic lights in it and four trumpet shaped mouths around his head, for shouting at traffic in all directions. He was a fairly minor character, a contact in the robot underground helping them escape to the free robot colony, which was on another planet or the moon or something. This was the very last Ro-Busters story.

I had a look for pics of him but couldn't find any. I'd forgotten some other characters, though, like Mek Quake (how could I forget him?) and the story with the giant robot at the docks (Charlie?) who fights off a load of evil giant demolition 'bots, some of which would make cool toys.

The unpainted AW figures are on Ebay. I was hoping an unpainted Bramble might be more affordable, but it appears not, and I think I'll save my money for Mongrol anyway. They do "night watch" and "day watch" figures too, in very basic black and white paint jobs, which look much less impressive.

At sixth form we had an L shaped tube thing that you blew down to achieve a splatter effect, much more splattery than an airbrush.
Hotmitts

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if you knew but here's a UK dealer that does 3A;

http://www.onesixthbruce.co.uk/threea-6-c.asp
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    visibleinnards.org Forum Index -> walder approved non-cyborg toys All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: