visibleinnards.org Forum Index
visibleinnards.org Forum Index |  Register |  Log in to check your private messages  |  Log in |  FAQ |  Search | 
AIRFIX EAGLES-A FEW SURPRISES.....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    visibleinnards.org Forum Index -> walder approved non-cyborg toys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KB

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Gort

With his helemt off Dr War looks like Kryton out of Red Dwarf. Even has that smug look.

sf1378 wrote:

Are you flirting with me?

In your dreams Stan
sf1378

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KB wrote:
Nice one Gort

With his helemt off Dr War looks like Kryton out of Red Dwarf. Even has that smug look.

sf1378 wrote:

Are you flirting with me?

In your dreams Stan

You flirt....
sf1378

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gort wrote:
I have no idea; they do seem pretty scarce though. I've only ever seen two; mine showed up in a job lot (via a very good collector friend) and the other one was on French ebay several years ago but at the time I thought it was a custom.

dokuroking wrote:
I want one! Are they expensive?

I forgot to mention above but the firing fists / missiles obviously didn't make it into production.

Thanks Gort.

I wonder if Doctor War may have never been sold at all and what did filter through where pre - release production figures? I have a few modern 3 3/4 G.I.JOE PURSUIT OF COBRA figures that were selling on ebay before official release and then Hasbro announced cancellation of those very characters, so some collectors like myself essentially had unreleased figures made to full production standard. Some where released but with running changes like certain colours changed (Arctic Destro's eyes became full green) or sculpts of heads changing from movie actor likenesses to non movie character heads (the pre pro Zartan had Arnold Vosloo's likeness, the actual release has the new sculpt 25th Anniversary Zartans head and Jungle Attack Storm Shadow was never released but a Desert Storm Shadow was released that looked totally different down to sculpting)...I have 3 pre change figures...So, could be like that with DR WAR. Also, no one whose ever had Eagles mention having or seeing Sgt Secret or DR WAR as kids in the 1970s do they? Airfix did also have a factory in France and also owned Plasty in Germany, either factory may have been used to make these hypothetical pre release production spec figures....just a theory, but a logical one...

So Gort, your DR WAR doesn't have the capability to fire things out of his arms - not even springs inside? Bit naff looking at his eye slit resting on his forehead....he can't see a thing! Maybe you need to press the helmet down a bit more?

Cool
hypnotator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing, Gort! He's a nice figure and in my opinion far more interesting than the regular Eagles. I quite like the straight arms, they give him a stylized look, and yes, the first thing I thought on his unmasking was "it's Kryten".
gort

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, no springs or even any space for them in the arms, although the hands do seem to pull out easier than the regular Eagles so they may be supposed to be interchangable? That's as far down as the helmet will go as well, if I'd had him as a kid I would have trimmed the top of his head to the eyes lined up with the eyeslot.

As for the pre-release figure theory; I've just noticed that his belt is a solid metal ring, not the usual plastic type, so that idea might carry some weight. Either that or someone replaced a broken belt, I do remember being able to pull the legs out from the body and replace as a kid.

sf1378 wrote:

So Gort, your DR WAR doesn't have the capability to fire things out of his arms - not even springs inside? Bit naff looking at his eye slit resting on his forehead....he can't see a thing! Maybe you need to press the helmet down a bit more?

Cool
sf1378

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gort, ask your collector friend how he/she came to own DR WAR for a while before you bought it? Thanks.

The prototype seen in the 1978 trade catalogue has black shoes on and his torso matches CAPTAIN EAGLE'S. Yours has silver, and the shirt type torso, either they changed things for pre - production or...???? I did wonder about the belt as it looked like a silver ring as opposed to the same plastic belts with faux belt buckle and lugs for attaching holsters and the like to their belts. As I've got the German Action Stars figures I know what you mean about being able to pull the legs off, the torsos simply pressed onto the legs as a whole. One of my German Riot Police figures needed pressing down a bit more as the belt seemed looser.

It must be a pre - release figure, i.e. just before final release but it must have been scrapped. The Eagles as a toyline didn't last long did they? And like I said, anyone who had them never chats about DR WAR or Sargent SECRET, only the other figures and accessory sets. He doesn't even seem to be part of the ACTION STARS range either.

I also think that DR WAR may have gone on to becoming BARON IRONBLOOD i.e. a design influence: the Ned Kellyesque helmet for one thing and Airfix by the 1970s was wholly a General Mills subsidiary under control of Palitoy, ergo I'm sure designers at Airfix went onto working for their (then) parent company in the UK: Palitoy...

However, another line of thought logically could be that both SGT. SECRET and DR WAR did see release - albeit right at the very end of the EAGLES range but in very limited case numbers. Oddly, its the last issue stuff from the Eagle Eye Action Man era from 1978 to 1984 that are the rarest original items in the entire Action Man line due to cheaper materials having been used such as thinner cotton for outfits, more plastic and rubber parts for webbing etc and fabric stick on emblems for outfits. As these two figures where deemed 'new' at the time and the line perhaps being vetoed and scrapped by 1979 say they probably had only produced x amount of stock of each figure so they may have sold out pretty quickly just to offload them sharpish and end the range...hmm, if only someone knew the definitive answer eh...? Wink

It'd be nice to be proven wrong and see packaged examples or others who actually remember having had this figure as a kid. Very Happy Question
Alex77

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is awesome, I like the Red Dwarf / Acroyear / Robotman / mad Max / Jim Morrison stylings, and all in one crazy figure.

I like all these post-vader cybernetic badguys of the 70's / 80's, there's a lot of cinematic equivalents to Dr. War that would have made for cool figures, like Michael Ironside's character in 'Spacehunter' et al.

Shame he's not fooked up facially under the helmet, although his chirpiness does make him look more of a psychopath.
hypnotator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Data had an evil twin, so it's Kryten's turn. Or did they aready do that in a Red Dwarf episode?
sf1378

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hypnotator wrote:
Data had an evil twin, so it's Kryten's turn. Or did they aready do that in a Red Dwarf episode?

Data also had that spazzy brother as well in Nemesis!!!!!! Laughing Yeah, they did an alternate universe Kryten who was fucked up.

I think if I'd had that figure or multiples of DR WAR I'd fuck up the face of at least one...if anyones seen The Talons of Weng Chiang in Dr Who Magnus Greel has a well fucked up face, that'd be what DR WAR should look like....
BAZ

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sf1378 wrote:
hypnotator wrote:

Data also had that spazzy brother as well in Nemesis!!!!!! Laughing Yeah, they did an alternate universe Kryten who was fucked up.

I think if I'd had that figure or multiples of DR WAR I'd fuck up the face of at least one...if anyones seen The Talons of Weng Chiang in Dr Who Magnus Greel has a well fucked up face, that'd be what DR WAR should look like....

You fookin' nerd! Get a twattin' life!!!!
sf1378

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BAZ wrote:
sf1378 wrote:
hypnotator wrote:

You fookin' nerd! Get a twattin' life!!!!

This coming from you? Your unserviceable fook! I fart the sort of farts that cometh before one needs a heavy shit in your face....PUNK!
BAZ

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sf1378 wrote:

This coming from you? Your unserviceable fook! I fart the sort of farts that cometh before one needs a heavy shit in your face....PUNK!

You are my unserviceable fook???? Whatever floats yer boat.
sf1378

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BAZ wrote:
sf1378 wrote:

You are my unserviceable fook???? Whatever floats yer boat.

Ah, a typographic error on MY part....It should read as:

'You are an unserviceable fook!'

Twisted Evil
BAZ

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.
thebigr

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how this thread slipped by me but DAMN is Dr. War some hot shit.

Nice score there, and now I have some more weird shit to search for in barrels of broken euro toys.

What happened to the FUNK of toys? Why is the new shit so damn boring?!?!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    visibleinnards.org Forum Index -> walder approved non-cyborg toys All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: