visibleinnards.org Forum Index
visibleinnards.org Forum Index |  Register |  Log in to check your private messages  |  Log in |  FAQ |  Search | 
AIRFIX EAGLES-A FEW SURPRISES.....
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    visibleinnards.org Forum Index -> walder approved non-cyborg toys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sf1378

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:36 pm    Post subject: AIRFIX EAGLES-A FEW SURPRISES..... Reply with quote

I'm sure a lot of you know of or had/have Airfix Eagles....? I only found out about the line after looking at M.A.C. stuff....I thought it was just a brief Airfix foray in the 1970s but I found to my surprise it was BIG and I mean B.I.G. in Europe, especially Spain and West Germany under two different names:

SUPER BILL and ACTION STARS respectively....

To my knowledge, Airfix in the 1970s had bought a company called Plasty, I think they were German, bit by bit initially via a 65% stake buyout....In the UK the Super Bill/Action Stars figures were cherry picked and rebranded as Airfix Eagles with wonderfully rendered artwork....(I love that felt tip style, which was also seen on U.K./E.U. repacked G.I.JOE items as well in the 1990s)....However, in Europe the range had many variations of figures, some had BEARDS and they even had jeeps, tents, horses, boats etc!!!

I've done a bit of snooping 'on that thar t'internet' and heres the results for your viewing pleasure...

Enjoy.....

AND FUCK OFF!!!!!!! Laughing

Airfix trade catalogue: The most surprising figure I saw in it is their ENEMY~: DR WAR!!!!! With interchangable, spring fire arms!!!! Liveried in Android colours of silver and black!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12871619@N03/3310643163/lightbox/

An interesting flickr album by 'plasticaction' highlights some of the Action Stars but also has some cool German toys like 'Atomic Man-by Airfix' as well....:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/plasticaction/with/3911609681/

This youtube.com video from Argentina highlights a big time collector of Action Stars (music is SHIT and I recommend turning to MUTE....). You'll get to see the bearded variants as it goes along... :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2KhOGj_1Yg

More info:

http://projectswordtoys.blogspot.com/2009/06/is-for-airfix-e-is-for-eagle.html

Now....this site, has a full German catalogue of the range they had (lucky fuckers) and you'll see the boats etc I was talking about...:

http://www.thanheiser.net/spielkram.php#a1

Well.....there you are, I hope you enjoy looking at it all. I think I've provided a fairly comprehensive potted history of AirFix Eagles/ACTION STARS/SUPER BILL....Let the discussions begin! Methinks I'll be buying some of this shite in the near future....I really like it now.

You twunts..... Wink
Neutron X

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never saw these figures! They look great, nice research and links! I think kids must have loved these. I know the boats, jeeps ect. would have had me saving money to get them.
sf1378

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I didn't really think I'd find much as I considered it less documented. I would have loved these toys as a kid, I know for sure my Dad would have bought me some as he used to surprise me with ACTION JACKS....Am defo going to buy some sooner or later and build up a collection.
hypnotator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember these! Plastic crap. They had ads in all the comics with beautifully drawn comic strips, but when you saw them in the local toy shop, you realised you didn’t want to buy ‘em. It’s great fun to see them again, though, and it brings back lots of memories.
I remember the comic strips had cliffhanger endings with a competition, finish the story and win the “Fighting Machine”.
I love the way the German catalogue shows the two astronauts landing on an alien planet in the Fighting Machine, which is a helicopter. What the fuck use is a helicopter in space? The gigantic venus flytrap is a cool idea.
KB

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great reseach SF, thanks for sharing the links

I never realised they were so big overseas, with such a wide range and I didn't know about DR War, who looks really cool.

Hypno does have a point, they weren't the greatest figures, however there was still a lot of play value, especially with the sets. The face sculpts aren't great and I never thought much of the rubber trousers, they could tear. The ones I have didn't tear but the rubber has suffered with age and poor storage and is all moldy - must get round to cleaning them up some time.

The comic strip adverts ran in 2000AD. These were the same as the comic strips on the back of the boxes -

I've always been interested in Egypt and so a toy with a mummy and a secret compartment was right up my street.

I got the big venus fly trap as well, as that really apealed to my imagination - a man eating plant, great - don't seem to have a decent photo of the box comic strip on my computer though.

The first I new about Eagles was when my brother gave me Captain Eagle for Christmas. It sat under the tree for a few days and all I could see through the wrapping paper was the helmet, which by itself looked like a flying saucer, so I couldn't guess what he'd got me. Captain Eagles' helemt doesn't have anything to keep it on, I remember mine got a bit of blue tack on top of his head to keep it on.

Never saw Captain Eagle's Interceptor - always liked the look of it in the picture, didn't see it in those catalogues either.

Came close to buying the rescue helicopter, but didn't, I think it was £3, I remember my dad suggesting I hold onto my money and I did. I was never really into the Eagles, not like the way I was into the Micronauts, which is probably where the money went.

I notice that the overseas ranges don't seem to have had Captain Eagle who the UK concept was based around.

sf1378

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they're brilliant. In a sense they compare-in terms of play patterns-to todays toys i.e. everything is included in the box for a childs imagination to work with the concept that each set provides but continue the 'storyline' with each set as they see fit.

Funnily enough, it was this sort of concept that was the basis for the Hasbro Modern Action Man series....
hypnotator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So was Dr. War ever sold? He’s news to me. Like a Playmobil Acroyear.

Quote:
Captain Eagles' helemt doesn't have anything to keep it on, I remember mine got a bit of blue tack on top of his head to keep it on.

Hmm, given that Captain Eagle was added to an existing German toyline bought on the cheap, and his weird helmet thing didn’t actually fit on his head, I can’t help wondering if maybe they just stuck some widget that they already had a whole bunch of, maybe a plastic lightbulb or something, on his head. The circuitry sticker would have been cheap to add.
It’s the sets that really fire the imagination, though, and those cool comic strips. I remember the octopus looked enormous in the strip, whereas he’s a tiny little thing. What I didn’t remember was the “pipeline” – what a weird accessory! And that freaky oil rig thing – the “Activity centre”. Industrial ‘70s chic.
sf1378

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know....who the fuck you think I am? Airfix Man????!! You cunt!

Laughing

Dr War must have been sold...maybe the old fuckers who were kiddies in 1978 or so now have altzeimers....and can't remember???? Or maybe the figure was showcased in the trade catalogue but wasn't finally put into production....? Happened with Palitoy Action Man a lot.....the fabled Afrika Korps Officer became the Afrika Korps Lance Corporal (same stock code)...

If someone has an actual image of DR WAR'S box art then he did exist....

I wish they'd redo them, and this time make the SKWIRMM GANG as their enemies and make enemy sets and accessories too...
hypnotator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
who the fuck you think I am? Airfix Man????!!

I always thought of you more as Airhead Man tee hee
sf1378

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hypnotator wrote:
Quote:
who the fuck you think I am? Airfix Man????!!

I always thought of you more as Airhead Man tee hee

Touche....and I've always considered you a crack addicted prostitute in the waining years of his career....tee hee!!!!!
KB

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I loose all my faculties, I will say that the only Eagles I ever saw were Captain Eagle, Medic, Para, MP, Deep Sea Diver, Frogman and their respective adventure sets plus the fighting machine/rescue copter. Don't remember the Commando.

I definately never saw Seargent Secret, Dr War, the activity centre or the other vehciles and doubt they were issued. Those figures would have made a definite impact. Along with Captain Eagle they seem to be different to the other figures that use the same head etc. Of course they may not have been distributed to the toy shops I went to, though with holidays to relatives and day trips we used to cover a lot of big towns and we'd always check out the toy shops. Happy to be proved wrong if there are any positive sightings.

SF - agree they use the same formula that Hasbro used with the new series of action men by having a whole adventure mapped out in one set.

Hypno - while the figures weren't great in the scheme of things, that wasn't one of the criteria I used for buying toys when I was a kid, and as you say its the adventure sets that fire the imagination. Looking at the fighting machine now I can't believe I wanted one as a kid. I think the box and comic art perhaps flattered it. That said its just a sort of nieave clunky design - and why shouldn't it fly to outer space, thats what imagination is all about?

As for that pipeline I seem to remember the Deep Sea Diver's mission was to turn of the flow of something using the pipeline - thats when he gets attacked by the Octopus.
sf1378

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Commando definitely exists. Seen pics of it and its box. A dude has an Airfix site and he has the figure pictured on it, his own. Its based on the Action Stars U.N. Commando, only difference is the helmet was a blue U.N. one....see the links I posted for fucks sakes!!!!!!!

I expect, unless we're corrected by some other interloping cunt, that DR WAR, the base set and SGT. SECRET were never released in 1978....? Maybe just final prototypes? Or maybe they were...we need some fucker from Airfix to clarify as the current Hornby Airfix does use a lot of the old farts from its hayday for the current stuff, maybe they know....However, by 1976/7/8 onward until 1984 the company had become part of General Mills UK subsidiary.....

PALI FUCKING TOY!!!!!!!!!!!!

YEAH!

The Palitoy Airfix department created the Airfix Railways OO gauge train stuff, rebranded GMR-thats 'GREAT MODEL RAILWAYS as well as the other usual Airfix model kits we know today.....(current Hornby Airfix still uses all the old dies and molds from the Airfix and Palitoy Airfix days don't you know....well, you chuffing well do now don't you....cunt!~)....

What I'm saying is that nearly all the Palitoy design team have now passed away into that great toy designing dept in the sky....so sadly its a bit sparce to get confirmation on these other items in the range from 1978 as seen in the trade catalogue. By 1984, G.M. sold Palitoy off and I think Airfix was sold off too hence ending their segways into other toy markets like action figures....Airfix now, as mentioned is a Hornby company and their onus is on the 1:76 etc WW2 and whatnot models that old farts built as kids and probably wanked over hence such sugary sweet halcyonic memories of bigone days....That said, (I say 'that said a lot here...fuck you!) I built a few models recently and can see the potential for becoming a collector but its a bit of a pain in the arse and fiddly....and then theres the painting and decal applying....they should change to stickers instead of water based ones....gits.

Kla?

Jawhol mein Herr SF1378....

Geile!

Vor ist mein kartofelsalade....!????!

MEIN GOTT! ZURRUCK! FOTZE! FOTZE! DU BIST EINE GROSSE ARSCHLUDER MIT MARMALADE!
gort

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice resource post, Stan.

As far a Dr War goes, I know of two examples that have come up, both from overseas auctions (one was France, the other I don't know exactly) so I'd guess the figure was released under one of these lines.

Anyone has Dr War for sale/trade I'm interested.
KB

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent - a positive sighting of DR War, though not in the UK.

As Stan said General Mills ended up owning Palitoy and airfix, and also Denys Fisher. When they stopped making toys the archive was donated to the museum of childhood. Their collection is starting to be searchable on the net - though limited pictures.

They do have samples for the Eagle Tower, though no indication it was released.
This is just a record card - no picture
http://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O40134/eagles-equipment-eagle-tower/

Also lot of the comic strip art work for the adventure set boxes - again just record cards, no images.

One of the record cards is for the Eagles Exterminator - anyone think what the might be?

As an aside it would appear Denys Fisher had a Cyborg Jaguar and a Cyborg station, as Palitoy donated them to the museum. Shame they never made them for the UK
Again just record cards, no pictures
http://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O46979/animal-cyborg-jaguar/
http://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O47829/electronic-case-cyborg-station-cx1/
Lee Chappell

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Didn't relise there was much love for the AirFix/'Plasty Eagle range! I could have saved Stan a load of seaching regarding this as I'd been on the trail of these for some time. Didn't think anyone else would be interested.

Great resarch though, Stan. Yo're right regarding the commando too - I have one, boxed, he is very similar to the miltary policeman which I also have, boxed ( along with Captain eagle)

There was a Tower planned, and some vehilces according to an Airfix catalog from 1978. The 'Fighting Machine' I have; the proposed gyro/helicopter I managed to get unboxed but missing parts. It came from the son of a guy who photographed the toys for the catalogues

The Plasty range was very big in South America too as well as Europe. Figures and themes are the same but colours are a little different on them, our old style divers suit is black, Euorpean is brown. They had more practical figures like road repair men and vehicles like Jeeps, Cowboy horses, motorcycles.

The British Airfix range was more adventure and later fantasy based. The adventure sets to go with the figures had the storyboards on the back, to assist with the playing. I've got the Earthquake set which goes with my Medic figure.

Incidently, Doctor Wars arms fired his hands off, like missiles. Very BAron Karza... Wink
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    visibleinnards.org Forum Index -> walder approved non-cyborg toys All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: