visibleinnards.org Forum Index
visibleinnards.org Forum Index |  Register |  Log in to check your private messages  |  Log in |  FAQ |  Search | 
SVL micro KWIIs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    visibleinnards.org Forum Index -> general henshin
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hypnotator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Four months since KB asked me to finish these by Tuesday. I finished these last weekend, which is technically two days before Tuesday. I was so chuffed when the sun came out today so I could take these pix.

Christ what a fiddle. I’m kidding folks, I love it. I live to make models. But they were a fucking fiddle.

As much work as any model kit, for sure. This is just on a scale of tiny beyond. I have to thank Zira once again for getting me these wonderful things and KB for pointing me in the direction of Pebeo Vitrail glass paint for General’s purple.

The Vitrail actually worked better than the Tamiya in most places; it has a less even coverage, which runs into the details. It has stayed a bit tacky on the hands, though.

Magma was the most difficult to make.

The replacement front torso idea (to accommodate the guts) is troublesome because it doesn’t take the screw that holds the whole figure together very well. Magma actually fitted together better than the others but I had the clever idea that a blob of superglue in the screw holes of each torso front would improve stability. The heads and shoulders just weren’t held tight enough and they were all loosey goosey.

All the others benefited from this, but Magma went to shit. The screw just wouldn’t go in anymore, and after spending ages trying, I gave up and glued the halves together. It’s a shame because I painted up all the clear Microforce parts too, with the idea that I could convert these back and forth.

Magma looked good on a second coat of Tamiya red, but the second coat of Tamiya blue on Evil was a mistake.

Shadow could probably do with gluing together, too.

But now these boys are back in their glass case after this photo session I’m going to try not to even touch them for a while.

Brains!

And this sweet honey baby is the Lady Material Force I bought that turned out to have boobs that are too big to make the Apollo Z figure. Who better to display a brain?

Phwoar it reminds me of the Heilman strip in Metal Hurlant with the horrible, kinky… never mind…

Watch this thread for Neo Tector and Apollo Z.

One of these days.
GUYx1
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant work Hypno!!!
Red_2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! Awesome stuff as usual Hypno!
GUYx1
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The frustration of your story reminds me why I have such a hard time with them myself. The Results look amazing, but pounding my head into the wall for 4 months would be too much for me.

I have enough stress when I blow out a colored cyborg knee in the middle of a project after I have run out of the color mix. All those different colors. Makes my head hurt. How many runs to the hobby shop did you have to make? A tremendous effort and a job well done! You make 4 months of hell look well worth it. Have you ever thought about blowing up the sculpt for the shadow man to 1/6 scale?
Jackmagic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bravo! They came out terrific!
KB

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent stuff Hypno, they look fantastic,

Now tell us your secret, how do you find the time?
Hotmitts

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done bro. Those look amazing! Absolutely worth the effort. Worth saving as desktop material I think.

What figure is the black head based on ? I recognise it from around here, but don't know the name ?
dokuroking

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those look completely fantastic.
hypnotator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks boys!

Quote:
Now tell us your secret, how do you find the time?

I don’t watch much telly, KB.

Quote:
What figure is the black head based on ?

The black figure is Shadow, Hotmitts. He was on the poster I gave you. Originally Takara planned and advertised four King Walder II figures, then for some reason they only released two of them. They did release Evil (the blue guy)’s head in clear colour:

http://visibleinnards.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10273

Hmm can’t seem to find Johnny Haggis’ superb pix of the Evil head.

Quote:
pounding my head into the wall for 4 months would be too much for me.

Pounding my head into a wall for four months would hardly be accurate, Guy! Compared to the rest of my life, time spent making models is my idea of relaxing. I have been working on other projects in the last four months, as well as going to work (which can more resemble pounding my head into a wall, and even that would be unfair). I did swear a little when Magma’s troublesome torso wouldn’t go together, but once I got my head around the fact that he would have to be glued, a peaceful Zen cloud descended over me. To see these delicate figures finished now and to share the pix with you gents is worth every scrap of effort. Not only are they rare, but because they require painting, my set is unique.

I’ve years of model making have taught me that although you always strive for perfection, some things get compromised along the way, and immediately after finishing each kit, those imperfections stay in your mind. You know that there is a spot in the figure’s armpit, say, where the paint didn’t go quite right. You put it on display, though, and every once in a while it catches your eye and you think, actually that doesn’t look so bad.
Hotmitts

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry , yes, I realised afterwards who the black one was. It looked slightly similar to another custom I saw around here, I think it might have been Guy's snowborg picture set, of Neo cyborgs. One has what looks like a cartoony-type skull head. And lobster hands.
Jackmagic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GUYx1 wrote:
Have you ever thought about blowing up the sculpt for the shadow man to 1/6 scale?

YES! Didn't I see a post on here about a compound that expands after you mold it? Even an imperfect duplicate would be the coolest custom EVER!
hypnotator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those Snowborgs have “Elquebird” heads, Hotmitts. Made by a company called Charactics, they are an accessory for Henshin Cyborg figures, just sold as a head in a bag. You then have to buy a Cyborg figure to display them.

http://visibleinnards.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7108&sid=8069b8094b20646d23117fa7e2932c95

Apparently the design was inspired by cheesy 60s movie “Astro Zombies”.

http://visibleinnards.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4951

The lobster claw hands are standard Neo HC accessories, but the white ones can only be bought in the separate accessory set, and you only get one per set. Guy has done some serious collecting of parts to do his customs.

I do indeed intend to do a 12” custom Shadow figure one of these days but I don’t think “blowing up” the tiny SVL head is a feasible proposition. I will have to sculpt my own, using the SVL head and pages from Hyper Hobby magazine as reference. Guy once posted a link to some stuff that shrinks, rather than expands, after casting. It would be useful for achieving fine details but no use in this instance. Even if expanding stuff exists, the sheer difference in size needed would require several steps of recasting, losing integrity each time and generally being long winded and fraught.
hypnotator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update! Preliminary Neo Tector and Lady Apollo Z fit together:

The trickiest parts were the elbow joints and Tector’s wrists. The slots have to be cut and tiny holes drilled for the pins. They are flopping about a bit because I left the screws out of their backs. No point fully assembling them when I’m going to take them apart again to putty and paint.
GUYx1
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Shocked Shocked
OMG those are cool.
I hate building the micro suits, but
man those figures look beautiful!
Neutron X

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!!!!!!!!!!! Way beyond my skills to put one these togther. WELL DONE!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    visibleinnards.org Forum Index -> general henshin All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: