visibleinnards.org Forum Index
visibleinnards.org Forum Index |  Register |  Log in to check your private messages  |  Log in |  FAQ |  Search | 
SVL micro KWIIs
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    visibleinnards.org Forum Index -> general henshin
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hypnotator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:52 pm    Post subject: SVL micro KWIIs Reply with quote

Firstly I have to thank Dokuroking for putting me in touch with a great Japanese toy contact, and secondly I must thank the contact for queuing specially at Wonderfest to get me one of only two sets sold this year.

When I was ordering these I wasnít sure whether you get parts to make all the figures in their entirety, or just the parts to convert Material Force figures bought separately. Friends on this forum have linked me to pages which show Japanese garage build diehards casting all the tiny parts to make a complete recast Micro Force figure. In the pictures my contact posted while I was waiting for my parcel, I could see what looked like chests and feet, but there didnít look to be enough clear parts to make four KWII figures. I started to worry that I might be getting just one of the beautiful micro KWIIs pictured.

Here is what you get. Special feet with toes and special chest fronts to accommodate the miniscule visible innards. You get heads to make all four of the whacky KWII characters, thank goodness. The down side is that you have to buy four clear Material Force figures to make them all up.

Check these sculpts! Bear in mind they are much smaller than reproduced here. The Shadow head is very special, as he was never released in any form and I only had a couple of pictures before now to help me guess at what he would have looked like. I wonder if SVL were allowed to see the prototype or if this is partly the product of their own artistic license and imagination. It looks the part, and I will refer to it closely when I make my own custom Shadow one of these days.

Here are all the Mutator weapons, half of which never got released full size.

You also get parts to make a Neo Tector suit figure and a strange female Apollo Z.

The fists for Tector are attached by flashing to the forearms for Apollo Z, who comes with two Apollo heads, which appear to me to be identical, and a woman head. On the right is a separate fringe piece for her. Iíve already bought a female Material Force to make this one up, but the tits are too big. I forgot that lady Material Force come with three breast sizes. An any of you Microman experts tell me which colours have the small breast size?

Here is all the packaging, plus a funny plinth for the KWIIs and a stand, which are pretty poor to be frank, but the photo of the painted plinth in the paperwork (middle top) makes it look worth having a try at.

Iíve collected three clear Material Force figures so far. This is quite an expensive project. I intend to paint them up with Tamiya clear paints, but they donít do purple. I could do General up in green, but that feels like a compromise. Anyone know of a clear purple acrylic model paint? I can water down regular opaque colours, but it wonít look the same.

Watch this space for photos of them all beautifully built, one of these daysÖ
KB

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great score Hypno, I look forward to you posting pictures of the finished figures sometime next week, shall we say Tuesday latest? assuming you don't have anymore problems with your tits.

The sculpting on those heads looks great as do the rest of the parts. I assume you have to display either the brain or the head as they don't look like they nest.

I'm sure your effort will be rewarded with a set of very cool and unique figures
dokuroking

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH nice! I'm glad to finally see some great pics of these and I'm happy you were able to get this set. It's a really tough one. All of the standard color (not exclusives Material Force Girls come in all 3 breast sizes. If you plan on doing any mixing and matching of parts between several though beware that there were different releases and that not all of the parts are totally compatible. For your purposes though a single body should work fine.

I can't wait to see this all build up. Thanks for the pics!
hypnotator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, KB, Tuesday next week, 2015. Seriously, though, I gotta be disciplined and finish my Harryhausen kits first. If you start the next project before you finish the last, you never finish anyth

Compared to a full on model kit, these wonít be much work really, but Iím still collecting the base figures to build them on, and I gotta source some transparent purple paint.

None of the heads are drilled for neck posts, except Apollo Z. Drilling them is going to be a bitch and itíll be very easy to fuck it up and destroy these precious nuggets of plastic. Iím tempted to only shallow drill them, cut the posts down and glue the heads on. This will mean that the brains will not be interchangeable. Drillling the tiny brains will be riskiest of all. So I may disregard the brains completely or save them for a day when I can be arsed to get even more bodies. Itís a shame Ďcause theyíre great little casts.

Dokuroking, I would never have got this set without your help! Iíve sussed out the breast sizes and my contact is currently bidding on a small size light blue which should work well. I already tried mixing and matching Micro Force joint parts when I did my Micro HCs and Walders, and itís mainly the knees that are incompatible. Also I havenít yet found a paint stripper that works on the painted patterns on Micro Force. Thatís why I decided to go with clear Material Force and paint Ďem. Itís not an ideal solution either, because Tamiya clear paint stays tacky on vinyl parts like Neo heads and hands, and I think itíll do the same on the Material Force elbows and knees.
Domu

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you should be okay with the paint on the elbows and knees. I think they are the same plastic as the rest of the figure. The hands are made of the softer, more rubbery plastic, though.

I plan on using stripped AcroyearX and Master Force figures as my bases, but like you I haven't figured out a way to remove the paint safely Sad

I can't help with the clear MF figures (they're so expensive and/or hard to find now), but if you still need the small, light blue LMF, I think I have an extra around. Let me know; it'll only cost shipping from Vegas.
hypnotator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Domu! Youíre right, come to think of it, it is just the hands that are soft vinyl, along with the little pins that hold the elbows together. If I paint up a tree of hands and store them in a plastic bag, theyíll stick to the inside. I have the option to leave the hands completely and just display the weapons, but I like the hands option.

Hmm it sounds like you have one of these sets too. Am I right in thinking you got it a whole year ago? My contact says only two were sold this year and the other collector was Japanese.

Good luck stripping those Micro Force bodies. Iím not sure it can be done. Iíve tried the white chalky stuff from model shops and nail varnish remover, and I know from experience that oven cleaning foam, which I use to strip model kits, will turn transparent plastic cloudy. Plus you have new torso fronts for each figure so youíll have to match the colour perfectly. I figured collecting four clear Material Force is expensive, but the only viable option. They are around 3,000 yen each when they come up.

That is so kind of you to offer me a free figure. I just heard from my contact that I won the bid on a small breast size pale blue Lady Material Force, so there is no need now, but thanks a million!
dokuroking

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My pleasure hell, I'm helping two friends at once haha. Damn someone recently just suggested something that worked for that. I forget what is was though. I'll see if I can dig it up. Yeah the ball joints for the arms also often are not interchangeable. Drilling the resin is actually pretty easy to make it easier and grippier pop the parts in hot water first then drill using only a hand piece. I definitely would not recommend anything electric for this purpose as if you hit a little air bubble you might go right through. Also heat up the parts (hairdryer also works) before putting them on the figure it makes the resin a bit pliable rather than rigid and brittle.
GUYx1
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff. I wish I could be more enthusiastic about the garage kits.

The first Walder suits took me about 2 years to get completed. Embarassed
This lot is certainly going to keep you busy for awhile.
Impressive stuff.
Neutron X

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AWESOME FIND! Can't wait to see them complete!
hypnotator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update!

I donít like to show half finished projects, but this time is an exception. I had to leave my current model kit to let the putty dry so I had a go at drilling holes in the heads.

It would be nice to have a clear set of these as well as paint them. I canít do both so these pics will be a nice record. You are right, Dokuroking, the resin drills out fairly easily with a hand drill provided you go slow and careful, keep a very steady hand and stop and check your positioning often.

I even managed to drill all four tiny brains. They are scarcely bigger than the posts they sit on, and I thought it would be impossible.
KB

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work Hypno.

Did you consider casting your own copies of the heads to give yourself a clear set ?
Neutron X

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KB wrote:
Nice work Hypno.

Did you consider casting your own copies of the heads to give yourself a clear set ?

I second the idea! They look awesome!
thebigr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those look great! Nice score!
hypnotator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks boys!

Quote:

To tell the truth, it hadnít occurred to me, and itís a damn good idea. I could even mass produce them to sell to you innarder chaps and make a few quid. But I probably wonít do it.
Reproducing the whole kit, with the replacement chest fronts, feet and Mutators would be tricky, but do-able. The two obstacles are time ( I just donít have enough) and the cost of the clear Material Force bodies.
Iím determined that my next clear resin customising project will involve some original sculpting by me to make something very original, this will take lots of time and it will also have to fit around model kit projects and toy projects like the finishing of this lovely SVL set.
When I did the Microwalder heads a couple of years ago, Micro Force bodies in all their variations were fairly easy to pick up in cheap job lots, and I did. Now even basic Material Force figures are going up in price (some fucker on Ebay wants over $200 for a set of the opaque colours) and the clear one, a Toyís Arse exclusive, fetches thirty to forty bucks a pop, when he comes up. I only have the three pictured here so far, one of which is the one I bought ages ago to keep as the basic figure. I have a fourth on the way to me, and Iíve decided to go ahead and use them all and hope to pick another up later for a basic figure. In fact I wanted yet another one that Iíve saved a Microcyborg head for. Anyone know a cheap source for these? I thought not.
Really Iíd like another set of four to display the brains separately because they donít nest, so I could have the four characters with hands and the four brains with the weapons. I can dream, canít I?
dokuroking

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Those look fantastic!

hypnotator wrote:
Update!

I donít like to show half finished projects, but this time is an exception. I had to leave my current model kit to let the putty dry so I had a go at drilling holes in the heads.

It would be nice to have a clear set of these as well as paint them. I canít do both so these pics will be a nice record. You are right, Dokuroking, the resin drills out fairly easily with a hand drill provided you go slow and careful, keep a very steady hand and stop and check your positioning often.

I even managed to drill all four tiny brains. They are scarcely bigger than the posts they sit on, and I thought it would be impossible.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    visibleinnards.org Forum Index -> general henshin All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: