visibleinnards.org Forum Index
visibleinnards.org Forum Index |  Register |  Log in to check your private messages  |  Log in |  FAQ |  Search | 
Super Number 1 Robot
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    visibleinnards.org Forum Index -> walder approved non-cyborg toys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KB

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:00 pm    Post subject: Super Number 1 Robot Reply with quote

Got a copy of Super Number 1 Robot as a present. Loads of pictures of Japanese robots. Here are a few that caught my eye:

I was totally blown away by this version of Tetsujin 28. It got me checking out the reproductions in the Soul of Chogokin Range. Mightily impressive stuff, so far I'm resisting, but I'm sure I'll take the plunge and pick up some of the repros. What do people think of the Soul of Chogokin releases?

The Glague on the left reminds me of the Timanic figures

The mech gorilla is off the cover of the book. There are a number of robots by this company and they all show great creativity

Here are two more by the gorilla maker, I think they are really interesting designs

The catroony skull head on the one on the right was what caught my eye with these two

What drew me to this one was the mix of machine and organic, alieness about it

I thought this was a great looking little robot, I love the big pincer arms and the head and eyes are just great

Here is a Red Baron with visible innards - seems to be a couple of missles launching

hypnotator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely book, KB! Trouble with books like this is, they just make you want more toys.

The green guy with the pincers and dome head is by Takara. There are some here that Iíve never seen before. I particularly like the one next to the cartoony skull head with the flower petals coming out of his head.

If you want to start collecting these, Iím sure you realise most of them are big money. I keep an eye on stuff like this but I content myself with collecting Soul of Chogokin, which are cheaper (although expensive enough) provided you buy them as they come out.

Soul of Chogokin are not really reissues of these, but total re-working of the same characters. I think they are better designs and colour schemes than these vintage ones, less babyish, but obviously they are not as sought or valuable.

I donít review my SOCs here on VI because I didnít think there was much interest. I donít get them all, just the designs I really like They are beautifully made, with lots of heavy die cast, plenty of points of articulation and nice ratcheting in the joints, but the joints donít bend very far so they donít pose that well. They canít sit down, for instance. I would recommend them, though.
dokuroking

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind seeing some SOC reviews. Currently I only have Big O and his upgrade set. I really have to pick up Raideen before he starts climbing in price too!
Kikaider

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Mech Gorilla from a trip to Hawaii when I was between 6-8 (76-7Cool. I thought the store was in an airport but my memory might be playing tricks on me. They had all the different kinds, and must have been expensive at the time as I was only allowed to get one (and my mom was never big on limiting my toys. Thanks mom!). I picked the Mech Gorilla. He has held up well over the years. I think I still have some of his yellow missiles but missing his chest plane (?). I used plumber' tabe around the plugs (his legs, knees, elbow, head, hands and feet all come apart, so probably interchangeable with the other robots in the line.) to keep them firm. I grabbed some pictures of the box he came in from Ebay a few years back (nothing like how I remembered them in the store), but I am afraid they are on the computer from my old job and lost Sad
KB

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kikaider - great choice the mech gorilla is really cool, must be nice to still have it too

Hypno - I'm quite happy with just having the pictures in the book, the cost of these vintage robots is out of my range. The SOC range is much more affordable though and the engineering of the later ones looks pretty amazing for a collectable figure.

I don't know that much about Jap robots, I was never into Shogun Warriors, much prefered Micronauts. The smaller diecast figures Raideen, Gaikin etc always looked a bit clunky to me as a kid and didn't appeal then, though I only came accross them in Forbidden Planet 2 on Giles Street. I appreciate them much more now.

The Tetsujin 28 I came accross as a kid was a Bandai model I had - but it was a much more angular 80s style robot. When I saw the blue dicast one above I was really taken with it.

On the subect of life size toys here are some links, firstly to a life size fist firing Mazinger, and then a 8m Mazinger

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqnqfY_X50M&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l2_NNoUAOY&feature=related
hypnotator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I barely saw the Shoguns when I was a kid. There was a line of 3 figure model kits advertised in Marvel comics and I saw them once in a shop in High Wycombe. Holidaying in France in í79 and the Goldorak (aka Grendizer) movie was on posters everywhere. There was a Gaiking model in St Malo and I wanted it so badly along with Capín Drake from the Big Jim line. I knew Iíd never find these again and it turned out to be our last family holiday in France.

The early SOCs have already gone up in value. Try to find Grendizer for less than $200. Like I said, these are possibly better than the vintage ones and they have some great features. At last I own a Gaiking, probably better than that old model kit which I wouldnít have time to build anyway. Iíll review them one of these days but Iíve got some other things in the pipeline first.
KB

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could resist no longer and scored a SOC. There was a new Shin Energer Z for £11 on fleabay (sellers still got 5 more for the same price), which struck me as cheap for what looks like a well engineered robot with a great paint job. The postage will cost more than the figure, but all in it still seemed like good value and less than it would have cost when issued.

I suspect Energer Z hasn't sold well, as it isn't Mazinger Z and they seem to have done the Mazinger variations to death. However, as I have no feelings either way on Mazinger and it wasn't part of my child hood, I'm quite happy to have picked up what looks like a nice red robot.

I'll report back when it arrives.
Neutron X

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BAD @SS BOOK! I like books like this showing great creativity in toy deisgn and with great photography. That green robot with pincers kills me. The Mecha Ape is an awesome figure. Glad I didn't go to Hawai in my childhood or I would be broke today trying to get everything I saw!

Last edited by Neutron X on Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
hypnotator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eleven bucks is a serious bargain for an SOC figure. I'm tempted myself even though I already have Mazinga Ova. Nice score, KB!

The one I was meaning to get and haven't yet is Doublas the two headed serpent guy. My favourite is probably Black Ox (not the one in the two figure set). He's a lovely, simple design and the light up eyes are a cool gimmick.
Kikaider

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KB wrote:
Kikaider - great choice the mech gorilla is really cool, must be nice to still have it too

I'm kinda suprised I still have him. I did keep so many toys I had as a child but some just mysteriously went missing (like a bunch of Micronaut aliens, and my Bulletman, and some old 12" GI Joes I received from a friend of the family). I checked my drive at home and it sucks but I don't have the pictures of the boxes here. Some other cool things about the figure is his jaw is hinged, and those two gray shapes protruding from his chest are blades and you press a button in the back and they fire out about .75 inch
gort

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mecha Gorilla and friends were made by a company called Ark which was a spin-off of Bullmark. I love these guys!

I'm with Hypno on the SOC figures, very well made and a great way of getting hold of a design without having to take out a second mortgage fot the vintage version. Oddly enough Doublas is on my list to get as well, I'd love to see a review if Hypno (or anyone else) gets him before me.
KB

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great collection Gort, the Ark robots must be some of the most creative.
microbry

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first heard this book was coming out, I knew I had to be first in line to get one. Got it on day one. The photography is top notch and reminds me of museum photos of native American Kachina dolls. It's a great book to show to non-fans to demonstrate the Japanese toy aesthetic as a true ART. I feel this era of die-casts was far more artistic and inspiring than the prior, more collector-worshiped (currently) tin toy era. I was born too late to appreciate the charms of tin, though I can kind of wrap my head around it when I see hybrid stuff like the Zeroids. This stuff speaks to me on several levels, though, even when I'm not familiar with its series of origin. And the Ark robots are among of the best examples of all. I don't collect much in the way of die-cast but not out of a lack of desire. My collection of Micro-related stuff is already too big for me to handle, and the die-cast stuff tends to cost much more. But I do admire it all from afar! Smile
hypnotator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely picture, Gort. I notice you King Joe is different from the one shown in the book. Baltan's arabian style slippers are too cool!
gort

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any excuse to post an Ark picture, I just think they're just so beautifully made.

You're right about King Joe; there are some colour variations of some of the others but as far as I know Joe is the only one to have two distinct versions. I still need the one shown in the book.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    visibleinnards.org Forum Index -> walder approved non-cyborg toys All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: