visibleinnards.org Forum Index
visibleinnards.org Forum Index |  Register |  Log in to check your private messages  |  Log in |  FAQ |  Search | 
KWII poster
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    visibleinnards.org Forum Index -> general henshin
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hypnotator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject: KWII poster Reply with quote

I finally got framing this and hanging it after ten years. Back then I had no computer or Internet, but I had a friend that I had met via the small ads in Model Mart who was as obsessed with Cyborg collecting as me. He sent me a copy of Hobby Japan to borrow and send back, which had pictures of the upcoming Cyborg 99 and King Walder II figures. I never hoped to own these figures at the time. I scanned the pages on the crappy scanner at work, set to high resolution. When I sent the resulting jpeg to the printer, I got a tiny corner of the page, so I sent it to the large scale plotter instead. After a few tweaks, I got a nice big 1130x852mm poster. I printed just three and I kept no soft copy.

I’ve been busy framing all the posters I’ve had hanging around. Why not share the other, non-Cyborg related ones with you erudite gentlemen? I know Microbry likes Jim Woodring.

This is a signed, numbered screen print from Lambiek. It was my birthday present from Mrs. Hypnotator this year.

I got this from Lambiek too. It was much cheaper. Mrs. Hypnotator found the resemblances to a gorilla (particularly the hands) rather disturbing. Crumb plays a game of attraction and repulsion. Some of you may know his Whiteman Meets Bigfoot strip. It is impossible to defend Crumb morally but he is a master of the comic medium and I love his work.

Beefy.

Max Ernst’s Temptation of Saint Anthony, colour photocopied from my Ernst book. I once saw this painting in the flesh and it was mesmerising.

Squeezed in together to make room for the others, my old favourites, the Residents’ Cube E tour poster and Miller’s Dark Knight.
BAZ

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm.... resin recasts of Billiken kits too?
dokuroking

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. I think I have that issue of Hyper Hobby if you ever need another scan
hypnotator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Dokuroking but I'm happy with my poster and colour photocopies. It's quite crucial to have these pics though as they show the two figures that were never released.

Quote:
resin recasts of Billiken kits too?

They are actually vinyl bootlegs of Geometric kits. I'll be reviewing them properly one of these days when they're finished.
Alex77

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great selection of posters. I liked the Max Ernst pic, I thought Dali's interpretation of St. Anthony was impossible to top until I saw Ernst's version. Where did you see the original?
Neutron X

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like taking an idea from one source and making it another thing. The cyborg poster rocks! Glad you are getting stuff up. I have been finding old Comic Shop posters fron 20-30 years ago and deciidng what to put up and what to sell.
KB

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great cyborg poster Hypno - good use of the company's plotter - just thinking aloud with a decent camera to get the resolution you could probably print out a life size cyborg on a plotter
hypnotator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Great selection of posters. I liked the Max Ernst pic, I thought Dali's interpretation of St. Anthony was impossible to top until I saw Ernst's version. Where did you see the original?

There was a Max Ernst retrospective at the Tate Gallery back in the late ‘80s. I got really stoned on the front porch and did the exhibition with Throbbing Gristle playing on my Walkman. I had to keep switching it off because there were two old ladies wandering round and I didn’t want to miss their priceless comments. “Gosh, what a bold statement” – stuff like that.
Dali is great but Ernst has the edge for me. Apart from his extensive use of collage, montage and “frottage”, he used random chance a lot. There was one called Europe After the Rain where he had altered the texture of the canvas with thick white plastery paint, dribbled and marbled paint on top, then painted on a sky and a few details to make it into a coral landscape. The result is something dreamlike in its ambiguity with a level of detail that you can stare at for ages. Temptation of Saint Anthony has a similar look and I think he was inspired by the same methods, but the whole thing is painstakingly painted in full detail, no shortcuts.
It’s a long time since my art school days but seeing original paintings in the flesh is always an opportunity for me to get some idea of the painter’s methods and technique.

Quote:
I like taking an idea from one source and making it another thing. The cyborg poster rocks! Glad you are getting stuff up. I have been finding old Comic Shop posters fron 20-30 years ago and deciidng what to put up and what to sell.

Yep that KWII poster was a happy accident. One of the reasons it took me so long to hang it was that I had to make a custom clip frame for it, it’s so large.

What comic posters have you unearthed, then? And why would you want to sell any of ‘em?

Quote:
great cyborg poster Hypno - good use of the company's plotter - just thinking aloud with a decent camera to get the resolution you could probably print out a life size cyborg on a plotter

Yeah a life size Cyborg would be cool. Mrs. Hypnotator might consider it grounds for divorce, though.
Alex77

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish I'd seen that retrospective, Europe after the rain is a stunning painting.

I did manage to go see Dali's castle in Figueras(?). It was a college trip, but we managed to score some pot from a dodgy catalonian, I think it was part of the surrealist manifesto, or should have been.
I saw some excited Japanese kids jumping on Dali's bed before they were frog-marched out by armed security. I laughed, until I got marched out for drinking a can of coke, the guard unclipped his holster to show he wasn't messing around!

Someone should definitely make one of those "standees" (read: life-size cardboard cutout) of Henshin Cyborg, that would be cool.
hypnotator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hee hee I think the surrealists took a few things in the name of art.

Is that the lips shaped bed?

Those standees give me the creeps! I was in my local Forbidden Planet today and I kept thinking Matt Smith was another customer.
Alex77

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They must have been on something, I tried reading Dali's autobiography once, it said he used to sit in an empty bath and jerk off for 5-6 hours at a time! it later formed the inspiration for his painting "The Great Masturbator" (The one with the big red veiny hand, naturally).

The bed was part of a recreation of the sheep in the snow scene that matamorphosizes into a living room, can't remember the name.

Maybe it was Matt Smith, he is a bit wooden! (ba-dum) What about if someone made a life-size Cyborg? like the life-size zeroid, now that would be something. Hopefully they're listening...
hypnotator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been done. Most of the links seem to be broken on this crucial old page, or maybe it's just the torrent I'm downloading, but the guys in the snowball pic are life size.

http://visibleinnards.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=858
Alex77

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, I forgot about that thread! No visible innards though sadly.

I like the bald headed cyborgs a lot better than the traditional transparent hair effect on the vintage versions.

Nice to see Beefheart represented here too!
hypnotator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I scored the Beefheart poster when I was working briefly in Camden. There is a crazy little second hand record shop with lots of old vinyl, which I am trying to stop buying, and in the basement was this guy with a rack of bootleg posters he had screen printed himself. I was able to tell him the name of the photographer he had bootlegged (Corbijn). He also had a Warholesque colour variation repeat poster of Gainsbourgh and Birkin and John and Yoko's Wedding Album and we had a memorable conversation about Lennon's avant garde phase. I'm a big fan of Ono and I feel she is underrated.

Just a few doors down was Mega City comics. I couldn't believe it was still there after all these years and I bought the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen's Black Dossier, which I really enjoyed.

I'm disappointed nobody has commented on the Crumb poster, though. What are your feelings, guys? Attraction? Revulsion? Both? Anyone read Whiteman Meets Bigfoot?
Alex77

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be a firm revulsion!! I'm indifferent to whether women shave their armpits or not, but that's a bit much!

I really like Crumb, it's nice to see an artist follow their own aesthetics without fear of moral judgement, tends to produce the best artwork. I love the film they made about him, that and "Comic Book Confidential" were on heavy VHS rotation in my college days.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    visibleinnards.org Forum Index -> general henshin All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: