visibleinnards.org Forum Index
visibleinnards.org Forum Index |  Register |  Log in to check your private messages  |  Log in |  FAQ |  Search | 
My action figure collection circa 1980
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    visibleinnards.org Forum Index -> show us yer guts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jackmagic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:20 pm    Post subject: My action figure collection circa 1980 Reply with quote

I found this old Polaroid while cleaning today. The figures on top of my old dresser are the ones I had G.I. Joe size and taller circa 1980 (with the exception of ZEM-21 and the Mego Spider-Man).

BAZ

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bionic Bigfoot!!!!! COOL!
hypnotator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You had 2 Steve Austins? Or is that the cardboard figure you get with the suit?

Who is the guy peeping out between Pulsar and Bigfoot? Is that Hypnos?

Even if you still have all your old childhood toys, or have collected them all again, photos like this are precious as a memento of the times, so distant now but it feels like yesterday. Somewhere I have slides of my old Prehistoric Scenes from when I was about 6. They are so badly painted and my dad made a "cave" out of chicken wire and plaster of Paris. I must get them digitised.
BAZ

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just noticed the can of Slime too!!!
Anyone ever had Slymuk?? It was a British version?
Came in a Dust Bin like the US one.
hypnotator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember Slymuck. Halfway between Slime and Play-Dough. They also did Slime Worms and before them all, Potty Putty. I left my Potty Putty on the windowsill and it turned to liquid in the morning sun, leaked from the podule and got stuck all over my curtains. It was there until we moved house.
Jackmagic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hypnotator wrote:
You had 2 Steve Austins? Or is that the cardboard figure you get with the suit?

Who is the guy peeping out between Pulsar and Bigfoot? Is that Hypnos?

Even if you still have all your old childhood toys, or have collected them all again, photos like this are precious as a memento of the times, so distant now but it feels like yesterday. Somewhere I have slides of my old Prehistoric Scenes from when I was about 6. They are so badly painted and my dad made a "cave" out of chicken wire and plaster of Paris. I must get them digitised.

Yes, those are two Steve Austins. The one in the "Mission to Mars" outfit is the second version with the grey plastic arm under the roll-up skin. The one to his right is the "Bio-Sonic" Steve Austin which turned out to be the the rarer final version. The female figure is Fembot, not the Bionic Woman.

And yes, that is Hypnos. I actually bought two because the first one I bought had a defective hip construction and the figure had to squat forward in order to stand.

Most of the figures I bought in the late 70's and early 80's were on sale or clearance. I paid $2 for most of the G.I. Joes and the rest of the figures retailed around $3 or $5.

You are right about memories. Every single one of the G.I. Joes in that picture (with the exception of Mike Power the Atomic Man) is a "muscle body" figure and they all collapsed virtually the same day in 1988. The cheap plastic joints turned to dust. I have had most of them restrung but it is expensive, and I hate going "backward" in my collecting when my limited financial resources need to go "forward."

P.S. I have a box in my garage of all the pieces of my old Prehistoric Scenes model kits.
Neutron X

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice collection! You must have been very proud! Thanks for sharing such a fun pic!

You did better than me back then our Kmart never lowerd prices even on broken Gijoe Muscle body in the pack below $5-$7 I passed on the 12in BattleStar Galactica figure which was $15 retail in my area still in 1980. Not many toys in stock where we shopped. I did pick up a bunch of Battlestar Galactics 3 3/4 figures for .15 cents each in 1980 and set them back.
Alex77

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a great pic, what is it about polaroids, even if you took a picture today it would look instantly nostalgic.

I had the Mego Hulk, I sent him to the charity shop about 2 years ago in a fit of insanity, I still have no idea why, I instantly regretted it.

Who's the astronaut with the red visor?

Neutron, that's a bargain for the Battlestar figures. I really like the detailing on the small versions, much better than the Star Wars figures of the same time. I can't understand why the 12inch Starbuck looks like Perry Farrell though and the cylon's only loosely based on it's TV counterpart.
fantasticplastic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet spread you had going there in the 80's.
Wish I had documented my old figures from the 70's and 80's.
Cool
fantasticplastic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BAZ wrote:
Just noticed the can of Slime too!!!
Anyone ever had Slymuk?? It was a British version?
Came in a Dust Bin like the US one.

I remember getting very excited about buying some SLIME lol.
Had visions of playing THE BLOB with my STAR WARS figures.
CRAZY STRING got me excited too.
ALIEN GUNK attacking your toys rules lol.
Jackmagic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neutron X wrote:
Nice collection! You must have been very proud! Thanks for sharing such a fun pic!

You did better than me back then our Kmart never lowerd prices even on broken Gijoe Muscle body in the pack below $5-$7 I passed on the 12in BattleStar Galactica figure which was $15 retail in my area still in 1980. Not many toys in stock where we shopped. I did pick up a bunch of Battlestar Galactics 3 3/4 figures for .15 cents each in 1980 and set them back.

I was very lucky. I began my toy collecting when I was spending a summer at Hampton, Virginia with a $10 a week allowance. My brother had G.I. Joes when I was growing up but he destroyed most of his with violent play (stabbing, setting on fire, etc.) I liked the idea of having G.I. Joes and Captain Action figures but my dad declared those were "dolls" and I was forbidden to have any. So you know what happens to kids who are told to stay away from something.

My very first G.I. Joe was a Mike Power Atomic Man that I got at a K-Mart for $2. My second G.I. Joe was an African American Adventurer, also $2. Hampton had scores of department and discount stores (Korvettes being the biggest and best for G.I. Joe) and this was the period when almost all 12 inch figures were being discontinued.

The BEST clearance I ever ran across was a beloved chain in Virginia called Best Products, and somewhere around 1988 they put ALL 3 3/4 inch Star Wars figures on sale for 25 cents each! And this store in Richmond was near their warehouse so they had HUNDREDS shipped in. I snatched up as many as my meager funds would allow, but I regret I mostly grabbed the ones I did not have and passed on some of the earlier, RARER figures (I'm talking about Boba Fett on the original Star Wars cards, 12 backs and Empire Strikes Back cards).

And then they did the same thing with 3 3/4 inch G.I. Joes, 1982 - 1988, all figures, 25 cents each. And AGAIN I only bought the ones I was missing and passed on some super rare figures. Live and learn.
Neutron X

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you were in the right place for action figure fun! I would have lost my mind with deals like that. By 1980 almost all the 12in GIJOES figures were gone from store shelves and many stores stocked toys very sparsly. I couldn't even find any Megos in 1980 except Thor.
I bought the Starlog Toybook back then that talked about saving toys so I was searching for stuff to save.

So glad you saved your original Gijoe Muscle bodies and didn't throw them away. They are very easy to fix! There are many online sources for repair if you need I can send some pics of my methods.
Alex77

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the same Starlog mag/book in a second hand shop in mint condition for a quid about 8 year ago. It can make anyone who sees it want to collect toys.
Neutron X

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was 14 when I ordered that magazine and I still remember the Buck Rogers collection shown in one pic. I read it many times. I may have to pick that one up again for a fun read. So this magazine is resposible for my collecting! Very Happy
Alex77

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starlog's printing press was built over an ancient Indian burial ground which imbued the mag with special properties.

They have complete scans of the mag available to download on:
http://capacitorfantastico.blogspot.com/2009/06/revistas-space-wars-e-starlog-scfi-toys.html

The links at the bottom of the page. I've tested the file and all seems fine. It's in a .CBR format, which you can open with winrar. They've also got a load of other good stuff by the looks of it...
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    visibleinnards.org Forum Index -> show us yer guts All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: