visibleinnards.org Forum Index
visibleinnards.org Forum Index |  Register |  Log in to check your private messages  |  Log in |  FAQ |  Search | 
Custom figures by Hotmitts
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    visibleinnards.org Forum Index -> show us yer guts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hotmitts

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:02 am    Post subject: Custom figures by Hotmitts Reply with quote

Hello folks

Here are pics of my first custom full figure, made with Milliput onto a 1/6 military bod. Much bronze paint was involved and the eyes are glass beads.

My friend Will took the rather nice grainy shots by the toaster there.

No innards visible, but my brother, who walks amongst you as the Hypnotator, pointed out a resemblance to the Microknights, which were in my head along with Maria from Metropolis and a few others. I know he looks a bit like C-3P0 but if my guy ever met him, I swear he'd shove R2D2 up his arse.

I got some other heads I've done which I'd like to post when I get some better pics sorted.

Anyway, greetings from beyond the toaster, and thanks for this nice forum.

PS wasn't sure where to post so I hope it's okay here?
Alex77

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice detailing, and the paint job looks great.

C3P0 would probably quite like that I'm sure.
hypnotator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice! He looks even better than he did in the other pictures you sent me. A cool custom deserves some well posed photos. It makes me wish I had more time for doing this kind of stuff myself.
Do you know which body you used? Were the hands already in those poses? They work well. I like they way you can see the joints clearly but they look like part of the robot. Did you have to build the Milliput up in layers, or did it work in a single coating?
It’s nice to see you on the forum at last, Bro.
Hotmitts

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks bro.

It's an early BBI (blue box toys) body. It had huge man-boobs. I looked at various bodies for sale and bought this on Ebay because it was cheap and nicely articulated. It's pretty strong too, a lot of these types of bodies can be delicate, which is sometimes a hazrd with Eastern toys, I'm not sure they have the same kind of play-testing that Brit and US toys have to go through (I remember an old programme showing children trying to bite the arms off Star Wars figures to test them).

The hands were in those poses, I just built up a kind of fingerless glove shape around them. The whole body I did in stages really rather than layers, because the Milliput stays soft for hours, and as you move a figure around to model onto it you can inadvertantly squish any soft bits you just modelled.

It was nice to play at being a toy designer! It's certainly an improvement on the customs I used to do! Do you remember that figure we sold to our friend Danny Wheeler, a Big Jim with a wooden leg and biro all over his face ? Got him back for trying to sell us sea shells and cuddly toys . Ha!

Hey bro, can we see photo's of the Dragon figures NASA astronaut sometime? That looks very nice.
hypnotator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funnily enough the other astronaut figure I wanted badly and didn’t get was a BBI – U2 Pilot Bob Chapman:
http://toyhaven.blogspot.com/2008/10/usaf-u-2-pilot.html
I’m not sure if he’s technically an astronaut but I saw a loose one at Memorabilia a few years ago and I intended to come back for it but ended up spending all my money elsewhere. I assumed another would come along, not really being clued up on the rarity of the item.
The same website above has pictures of “NASA Apollo Asronaut” by Dragon, but my version is the Buzz Aldrin figure, essentially the same but with a different head sculpt I think and mine doesn’t have the base. I’m not sure which came first. The next few weeks leading up to Glastonbury are a little busy, but I’ll try and find time to review him. He’s worth it.
Hee hee I remember the biroed Big Jim and a few other childhood customs. There was “Johnny Hero” – deliberately conceived as the most misleading product packaging ever, the box art showed a square jawed hero type but inside was a mutilated Captain Zantor with a very bad haircut. You pared his Mego fingers apart and bent them horribly. Also there was a Daredevil figure – not the Marvel superhero but the British Big Jim knockoff – who got a new look as Deathlok the Demolisher, and later a couple of military Action Force chaps who got a sci fi makeover.
fantasticplastic

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has a nice retro 1950's vibe to it.
Cool work.
Wink
BAZ

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hypnotator wrote:
not the Marvel superhero but the British Big Jim knockoff – who got a new look as Deathlok the Demolisher, and later a couple of military Action Force chaps who got a sci fi makeover.

NOT the Marvel character either I assume?
Hotmitts

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it was Deathlok the Librarian.

Wow, that U2 pilot figure is amazing!
Hotmitts

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my Clockwork Kaiser.

I know this is moving away from Walder, maybe I should've posted in the 'Walder approved other stuff' section?

All lads together

He's a custom headsculpt with glass eyes and a GiJoe helmet, with Dragon/BBi accessories and clothes.
Neutron X

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saweet! The glass eyes really give it a punch. Good job!
Hotmitts

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Neutron X !
fantasticplastic

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wunderbar!
Looks like he'd fit into the HELLBOY universe?
Where did you find the glass eyes?
Wink
Hotmitts

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dank, mein fuhrer!

Yes Hellboy has a nice 'steampunky' vibe, definite influence - wish I'd picked up the 'Kroenen' figure when he first came out.

I got the 'eyes' from a hippy bead shop, 5p each. They were a bugger to get to sit in the head while the Milliput dried (what is what I used to sculpt the features onto the bbi head) . I had to make holes in the head first, it's good fun defacing a doll.

Actually I used to do some sculpting when I was on my own in the shop I used to work in, and customers wouldn't come in for hours. Then a lady with possibly a German accent came in and said "Oh. You are painting ze head of ze Barbie Ken?"
Alex77

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are great, I love the design aesthetic.
Hotmitts

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Alex77.
Just been watching 'Metropolis' - amazing looking film!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    visibleinnards.org Forum Index -> show us yer guts All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: