visibleinnards.org Forum Index
visibleinnards.org Forum Index |  Register |  Log in to check your private messages  |  Log in |  FAQ |  Search | 
Auction Ettiquette
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    visibleinnards.org Forum Index -> auctions to watch...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnnyhaggis

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Auction Ettiquette Reply with quote

For a community of collectors like us, there are some basic issues of cooperation vs competition that arise due to the competitive nature of auctions, vs the cooperative nature of the friendships and camaradeie that are part of this forum, and it's important to discuss them:

What do you people think is the right way to proceed on auctions that other board members are bidding on? What do you guys do, and what's your logic behind it?

Generally, my policy has always been, if I see someone I recognize and have some level of friendship with, bidding on something I want, I won't bid, unless it's a very rare item, in which case I might contact the person in advance if it's someone I know rather well. Recently I've been excited about a few items I've seen up, which actually were relatively hard to find, but ended up not bidding because I saw that other board members were doing so. I know other people tend to do that also.

However, as someone who always bids (unless unable to) at the last few seconds on ebay, or in the last 10 minutes on yahoo japan, I realized I have a serious disadvantage: no one will avoid the items I'm bidding on 'cause they won't know about it, meanwhile, I might be eyeing an auction from day one, and then if you bid 3 days in, I forfeit.

Is it super rude to snipe board members, or is it just part of friendly competition, so long as you're not clobbering the same person over and over? Any rules that should apply, or else just leave it up to judgement on a case by case basis?

Just wanted to know what your thougts are.
Neutron X

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting subject! STICKYYYYYY too.
Auctions can be so frustrating. I have had Ebay stalkers who watch everything I bid on in USA, UK, France, and even Germany. They would snipe me at the last moment making it very difficult to win auctions. Sounds paranoid huh? I have actaully had personal phone calls from some of these bidders bragging about how clever they are thinking this would endear them to me. Several told me they liked how I found rare and hard to find items.(I searched 4-5 hours a day to find them back then)
So I had to create a new bidding account. So Like you I am often watching an item for 7-10 days waiting to bid on the items I really want.
I have made many great friends and don't bid against them as a curticy.
My friends have helped me find almost all of the rarest pieces I have owned and I am grateful for that. Working together is so much better than going it alone.
We will all make mistakes at some point with bidding ect. So patience is needed. Learning bidding names ect. will have a learning curve.
I am often not willing to pay as much as some of my friends so when I have been outbid I would prefer a friend win it than a stranger.
That being said greed and immaturity are bound to rear their ugly heads.
Ed
bryanarchy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have thought about this a bit myself....

I won't bid on something if the highest bidder is someone i know, or someone from a board. If it was something i really needed to have, i may bid, but like johnny i would message them first.

If the person i know has been outbid and bowed out, i don't feel bad about bidding.

Bottom line is, i'm happy if a friend gets something cool and is really happy. Maybe not as happy as if i got it but still happy.
johnnyhaggis

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically what I did with the recent auctions where board members were bidding was that I waited 'till the last second hoping someone would outbid them, so I could feel comfortable bidding! But they won in the end so I never hit the "confirm your bid" button!

Neutron - can you elaborate some points for me? I don't exactly understand your story. How could people know what hard to find items you'd been eyeing? Did you talk about them on boards while the auctions were live? How did these peopel get your phone number to call you! We're they friends? I can't believe that they thought you'd be endeared by that!
Neutron X

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Until now I have not really posted on boards and never about current auctions.
It is possible to do an Advanced Search on Ebay by bidders name and by checking all boxes you can see items currently running and completed he has bids on. Including bids on Ebay UK, Germany ect.
This is illegal in Germany due to privacy laws. For example if the bidder is in Germany and bids you can't track it. You can see items he has won in his feedback section though.
Stalking guy: A few months after all the sniping had occured I recieved an email through a different Ebay user name asking me about rare International Gijoes and doing some trading. After several emails we swapped phone numbers to do a trade. During this phone converstaion it was revealed to me how he had been tracking me and my bidding over the last 8 months and was intentionaly sniping me. For some reason he thought I would find this information enjoyable, and respect him for being clever.
Needless to say no trading occured and I was creeped out. I have learned my lesson and am much more cautious about giving out my phone number ect. After getting a new Ebay account I started winning auctions again.
I look at it this way. These are only toys meant to be enjoyed. It's not worth having a corinary or anything. I look at them on my shelf and smile. If my family needs the money they are gone. People are more important than toys.
Ed
bryanarchy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neutron X wrote:

Stalking guy: A few months after all the sniping had occured I recieved an email through a different Ebay user name asking me about rare International Gijoes and doing some trading. After several emails we swapped phone numbers to do a trade. During this phone converstaion it was revealed to me how he had been tracking me and my bidding over the last 8 months and was intentionaly sniping me. For some reason he thought I would find this information enjoyable, and respect him for being clever.

that is thouroughly bizarre!!! I'm not surprised though.
johnnyhaggis

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neutron X wrote:
These are only toys meant to be enjoyed. It's not worth having a corinary or anything. I look at them on my shelf and smile. If my family needs the money they are gone. People are more important than toys.
Ed

Well, I've sold several family members to get some harder to find walders, so I take objection to that...

ha! Actually there's a guy on the micronauts email list who's selling off his collection and getting married. Apparently the collection became an issue with his former x who he's marrying. I congratulated him, but apparently people were writing him asking if he's ok and hasn't lost his mind!

I didn't realize you could see what people were bidding on. That info I think is only good for stalking or else using someone as a sniffer for hot items! I guess it's another reason to bid at the last minute.
Neutron X

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I do value family I expect them to value me too. My wife is very understanding and realizes that if it makes me happy and doesn't hurt the family budget it's OK to collect. I have a great time collecting and customizing.
Sorry to hear about your family LOL Shocked
johnnyhaggis

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neutron X wrote:

Sorry to hear about your family LOL Shocked

Don't worry about them, they'll get a good price on ebay,,,
BAZ

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Families? Over-rated.
Toys? ALWAYS your friend. Never argue, never complain.
Love 'em.
Bidding?
Play the white man shall we? Toes need NOT be stepped upon methinks.
AND, first to see, first to grab I say.
johnnyhaggis

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BAZ wrote:
Families? Over-rated.
Toys? ALWAYS your friend. Never argue, never complain.
Love 'em..

Exactly, live with your toys, and sell your family on ebay.

Quote:

Bidding?
Play the white man shall we? Toes need NOT be stepped upon methinks.
AND, first to see, first to grab I say.

What do you mean "play the white man"? And about first to see first to grab - does that mean you should place your bid right at the beginning? I usually see stuff right away, but don't bid till the end. [/quote]
bryanarchy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've philosophized on the right time to bid...

After thinking about it a bit, i think it's good to put a bid down when you see it if you want it. It's sort of like staking your territory. When something already has a bid on it, it maybe will discourage some people from trying to bid on it if they think someone may put up a fight.

I don't know if this works in mislabeled or low opening bid stuff...

shit, i don't even know if it works, but if it discourages one person from bidding against you, then it is good.
johnnyhaggis

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

problem with that is that bidding early makes the price go up. If you put in your max bid at the last second, the person you outbid doesn't ahve tie to get all obsessive and raise his/her (who am I kidding any girls out here?? - actually nevermind I just bought something from a girl seller/collector) bids. When people get fixated on something, and they want it they'll bid more than what they thought their max was. If you do it at the last 5 seconds, you don't give them the chance. I guess maybe bid minimum first and then maximum at the last second.

ebay is weird - if you bid twice, even if you're the only bidder, sometimes it raises the price, other times it doesn. Don't get it.
GUYx1
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neutron,
I am amazed that so many people have caught on to your bidding, but I do admit,
You and Johnny are quite similar in the deals you find.
You should try using some sort of sniping software to avoid being seen altogether.
I use a Bidding service for my ebay bids, so I put in my bid and walk away. I forget about it. Until the email hits seconds before the end of the auction atleast. Maybe I win, maybe I lose.
If someone I know tries to SNIPE the same auction (nudge nudge Johnny) it is often too late for me to do anything as my bid is locked in. To remove my programmed bid I think I need at least 15 minutes maybe it is less time now, but getting logged into the internet takes a lot of time too. I am generally never there to see the outcome regardess.
If I know someone is bidding (and I have a day or so before the end of the auction) it is easier for me to log in and cancel.
My home PC is pretty wacked and placing a bid manually causes the computer to crash, so I try and use it as infrequently as possible.
yojugod

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rarely bid on EBay anymore. On YJP, the auctions work differently. If you bid with 5 minutes or less to go, it resets the time to 10 minutes, so there is rarely a good reason to wait until the end to bid. Most people stake their claims early and most bidding wars happen sometime during the last day, but very rarely at the end of the auction, unless it is someone who is unfamiliar with the process.

Frankly, I like the YJP way better. Its more like a real auction and it prevents someone from sniping something out from under you for a low price. Most bidders on YJP take the time to think about their limit and place bids appropriately. No last minute "I shoulda" or "OMFG, what did I just do!" bids. Or at least less of them!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    visibleinnards.org Forum Index -> auctions to watch... All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: