visibleinnards.org Forum Index
visibleinnards.org Forum Index |  Register |  Log in to check your private messages  |  Log in |  FAQ |  Search | 
Action Man Atom Venom Attack Tilian

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    visibleinnards.org Forum Index -> reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hypnotator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject: Action Man Atom Venom Attack Tilian Reply with quote

Okay boys, we discussed this fellow on the “Is Action Man Total Crap These Days?” thread and he constituted my main argument against the motion, although the one Guy posted with the veins is pretty crap. I shelled out for this chap on Amazon France, the only place I could find him.

You have to see these toys as a separate thing from the Action Man of our childhood. I suppose they are cashing in on a household name, really. He’s nothing like the Henshin Cyborgs that I usually collect, either. I did fall for his gimmick, though. And I never was that sold on the Action Man of our childhood.

You press his button on his tummy and he squirts water out of those holes in his fangs. But his face is rubber and it changes expression. The mouth opens, the neck widens like a cobra’s and his forehead gets a little meaner. The forehead thing is really very subtle, so much so that you can’t really photograph it, and it’s the best part. I certainly ain’t gonna sully him by filling him with water.

Apart from that, he’s a regular modern Action Man, not high on articulation and a strange cross of moulded on clothes and cloth trousers. The torso and shoulders are quite nicely sculpted, zips and all. Not sure about his wonky light sabre.

I hope this provokes some discourse about the standards of modern Action Man.

KB

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice review Hypno

You might be suprised to know that your figure's gimmick owes more to the Action Men of our childhood than you might think. The design team in the 60's, 70's & 80's used to try to come up with a new gimmick every couple of years to re-invigorate sales of AM/GI Joe - we had talking AM, flock hair, gripping hands, muscle body in the US, eagle eyes, a dynamic physique when the UK tooling gave up the ghost and sharpshooter head. One of the gimmicks that was planned for after the sharpshooter head was the "grimmace". As with your figure, the plan was you would push a button and the figure would grimmace.

This type of flexable face first saw the light of day in 2003 with the release of a figure called Shouter, who would open his mouth when playing a recording. The button for operating this was in two parts and pushing the second part opened his mouth wider and increased the volume to simulate shouting.

As for Venom he certainly looks cooler than roid rage AM, and the venom thing with the teeth is a really cool gimmick - lot of play value - I'm sure a kids imagination would have a ball with that. So I would have to say todays AM is not total crap - a lot of it is, but there seem to be some interesting pieces.
hypnotator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting stuff, KB. I’ve not heard of the “sharpshooter head” or “grimace”. Were these planned ideas that got vetoed by that stuffy old squaddie, the General?
I’ve not heard of “Shouter” either. Is he an Action Man / G. I. Joe that was actually released?
I would agree that just a tiny handful of the new AM are interesting. I tend to buy the boring ones in charity shops when I see them, just for dressing up in HC costumes. Sometimes I rip the arms off and replace them with wire because they’re too muscular for the costumes.
I’m waiting for my son to outgrow his Prof. Gangrene figure and give it to me one of these days. Also I’d quite like to pick up that weird set with the rubber puppet Prof. Gangrene in the chamber, if I ever see it affordable.
The figure here is called Tilian, not Venom. My son tells me that he is a clone of another AM character that got reptile DNA mixed in or something. I saw a smaller version of him once. Ironically, my son loves AM as a franchise, comics, dvds, etc but he has almost no interest in the figures, or action figures in general. I’m sure it’s because his dad is so obsessed – maybe he perceives them as something for adults, not kids.
KB

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sharpshooter head was released before The General could stop it. It enabled AM to lie flat with his head up looking through a sight. However General Mills killed off AM before the grimace was developed.

Shouter was released, I remember the ASDA near where I work having loads of them.

Is the Gangrene set in the casket you're after the Egyption one? I always thought it looked quite cool. While I took a passing interest in the new AM and enjoyed buying them for my nephews, they are not somthing I've ever collected.

Funny your son prefers the brand to the toys, I suppose thats Hasbro using the MOTU strategy to sell.
hypnotator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow I was completely unaware of the Sharpshooter head. Did they have them in the bargain bins, or were they limited numbers?

Quote:
Is the Gangrene set in the casket you're after the Egyption one?

That's the one. I'm not dying for it, but when I saw it I thought, that's cool, maybe I'll see it cheap one day and of course I never did. You have to get a boring Action Man with a machete to get the weird Prof Gangrene in the chamber.

Quote:
Funny your son prefers the brand to the toys, I suppose thats Hasbro using the MOTU strategy to sell.

Very much so, and it's only due to him that I'm aware of all the merchandise. My daughter has always hated all plastic girlie dolls as well, including Barbie and baby dolls.
KB

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the time AM made it into the bargain bins they all had the sharpshooter head
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    visibleinnards.org Forum Index -> reviews All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: