visibleinnards.org Forum Index
visibleinnards.org Forum Index |  Register |  Log in to check your private messages  |  Log in |  FAQ |  Search | 
Macro lens for a Nikon SLR?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    visibleinnards.org Forum Index -> want lists
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fantasticplastic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: Macro lens for a Nikon SLR? Reply with quote

Looking for a good macro lens for my Nikon SLR so i can take cool photos of my figures and sculptures.
Anyone know where i can get one?
BAZ

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually looking for similar lens for my Canon DSLR.
One thing I've learnt, go for 100mm at least.
Tamron make good generic lenses I'm told.
They are pricey, about $500 over here!
fantasticplastic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip.
Some of the photos on here are really sharp.
Sick on not being able to get nice close ups of stuff.
I have a Nikon long lens i've never even used.
Maybe i can trade/ swap it in JESSOPS or somewhere lol?
Or is that insane?
dokuroking

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How close are you looking to get fantastic? Lenses have gotten much better and much cheaper in recent years. In the digital camera realm you rarely want to change lenses for dirty sensor reasons, so lenses are becoming more all in one. You can pick up something like this:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/18-55mm-vr.htm

It focuses really close from the from of the lens, the image quality is great and it's cheap as hell. I just came back from Taiwan with one and it was a great travel lens. If you want I could shoot a few close ups on how close you can get. If you need to get closer you could always just buy a close up filter kit which will diminish a bit of your depth of field but otherwise will allow you to get closer than you'd probably ever need to.
dokuroking

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BAZ wrote:
Actually looking for similar lens for my Canon DSLR.
One thing I've learnt, go for 100mm at least.
Tamron make good generic lenses I'm told.
They are pricey, about $500 over here!

I use all Nikon equipment Baz but I'm sure they make something comparable to what I mentioned above. Tamron does make some great and affordable lenses. You can usually find these for pretty cheap on ebay. Not all of their lenses are great though, so it's best to do a bit of research on what's what. You may want to look at something like this though which seems to do quite a good job on Macro work and it's super cheap:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/lenses/18-55-efs-ii.htm
fantasticplastic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dokuroking wrote:
How close are you looking to get fantastic? Lenses have gotten much better and much cheaper in recent years. In the digital camera realm you rarely want to change lenses for dirty sensor reasons, so lenses are becoming more all in one. You can pick up something like this:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/18-55mm-vr.htm

It focuses really close from the from of the lens, the image quality is great and it's cheap as hell. I just came back from Taiwan with one and it was a great travel lens. If you want I could shoot a few close ups on how close you can get. If you need to get closer you could always just buy a close up filter kit which will diminish a bit of your depth of field but otherwise will allow you to get closer than you'd probably ever need to.

Thanks for the helpful info!
:O)
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    visibleinnards.org Forum Index -> want lists All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: