visibleinnards.org Forum Index
visibleinnards.org Forum Index |  Register |  Log in to check your private messages  |  Log in |  FAQ |  Search | 
Micro Satan King

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    visibleinnards.org Forum Index -> reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hypnotator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Micro Satan King Reply with quote

Itís your namesake, Stanley!!

This little chap is made by VxFxC but carries a copyright from Takara. I love the idea of doing Henshin Cyborg characters at Microman size, and I think itís a pity Takara didnít explore the idea further.

Actually all you get is some red bits of plastic, which you have to paint up yourself, and you have to get a yellow Barefoot Microman separately. I got this on Yahoo Japan complete with the Barefoot. It wasnít cheap. I waited a long time for one to come up, too. There are six of these altogether, the three Walder Monsters; Satan King, Dokuro King and Plant Man moulded in red, black and green respectively, and the same three done in transparent plastic. I think the black Dokuro King is hardest to find, but the Plant Men are pretty scarce, too. I only have this and the transparent Dokuro King, so four more to collect, if I ever manage it. I missed a chance to get the transparent Satan King from Toyshop Rough a couple of years back, dammit.

Just like a model kit, this is exciting to post online because mine is unique. Even if youíve got one, it ainít like mine! There were some serious burrs and scraggy bits of residue from the moulding that I decided to trim, and the plastic isnít red all the way through, so cutting it leaves white patches, which I then had to paint over. It was tough matching the colour and you can see if you look closely. Posting larger than life photos taken like this really shows up any flaws in the paint job.

Thanks to Guy for the picture of his Satan King shelf; it was an indispensable reference. I decided to take a little artistic licence with the colour of the eyes and I really couldnít make out any fangs moulded on the face, so I didnít try to paint any on.

The transparent Dokuro King came in a small bag with a card header. The packaging on these opaque coloured versions is much more elaborate. There is some great artwork and a card crucifix, for some reason. The back of the crucifix has English text about the Torg copied from Denys Fisher packaging.

I like the way they adapt the picture from the original Satan King packaging about how to dress the figure in the costume. Bottom left is the back of the box, with the yellow printing, and you get a funny little torn picture that emphasises the limited, ďartĒ nature of this edition.
Red_2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet!
KB

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one hypno - great work

That box artwork is top - very satanic

any chance of seeing the transparent dokuro king?
hypnotator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link to my review of the Micro Dokuro King on the OLD forum... Booo! Hisss!

http://robotjapan.proboards12.com/index.cgi?board=Takaramicro&action=display&thread=2526
KB

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Nice - looks great on the purple reissue barefoot microman

Thanks for the link
Clone666

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very purty!
Neutron X

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NIIIIIIIIICE ONE! Congrats on the find!
hypnotator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
looks great on the purple reissue barefoot microman

These days I have him on a clear George figure, so that I can display the Founder set complete.
gort

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love it! great review and pics, Hypno. Micro Dokuroking is my favourite but I'd love to get my hands on any of these suits.
dokuroking

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really nice paint on that too.
hypnotator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Hypnotator's secret painting method - the "poor man's airbrush".
dokuroking

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm terrified to know what that is haha
hypnotator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I tried filling a drinking straw with enamel paint and blowing it out of my arse with a fart, but that wasn't very successful, so I tried cutting small pieces off a cheap bath sponge and dabbing the paint on.

For the Boudicca nipples and the backs of the boots: first I did two coats of dark grey with a little silver mixed in, then I dry brushed a much lighter grey with more silver over the top, using the aforementioned piece of sponge. Of course you have to mask the edges off painstakingly and interminably with tiny pieces of drafting tape, just like with a real airbrush, beforehand, as the sponge does not recognise precise edges. For the face I did similar just sponging black onto the red plastic.
sf1378

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only just saw this! FUCK YEAH! MY NAMESAKE! Cool
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    visibleinnards.org Forum Index -> reviews All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: