visibleinnards.org Forum Index
visibleinnards.org Forum Index |  Register |  Log in to check your private messages  |  Log in |  FAQ |  Search | 
National help the "noob" week - Where to buy Micro

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    visibleinnards.org Forum Index -> photostories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alex77

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: National help the "noob" week - Where to buy Micro Reply with quote

Hi all,

Can you tell me where in the blazes I can get hold of some vintage microman?

There are a few things on ebay, but mainly new figures. Is it possible to get on Yahoo auctions Japan? It says I'm not allowed to browse their toys n games section.

I can't imagine you want to divulge your buying secrets, but a nudge in the right diection would be great.

Many thanks
fantasticplastic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Microman?
Do you mean Micronauts?
Ebay, car boot sales and second hand or charity shops?
dokuroking

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vintage Microman toys do show up on ebay, but if you want to see a glut of them at a time you can in fact search yahoo jp auctions. You won't find much though if you're searching in english. Here is the link you'll want:

http://search.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/search?sb=desc&desc=%A5%DF%A5%AF%A5%ED%A5%DE%A5%F3&auccat=0&acc=jp&f=0x12&alocale=0jp&mode=1

That should keep you busy for awhile. To order from Yahoo JP you'll need to use a bidding service like Celga or one of the many others.
Alex77

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Takara Microman, Micronauts were Mego. They didn't repro all the originals either.

Thanks for your help guys.
micromanzone

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another difference: Outside of the original Pharoid (Type 1 version) & some Giant Acroyear releases and some Force Commander/Baron Karza releases, all of the Micronauts were made in Hong Kong and in my opinion lower quality. The items I mentioned above were made in Japan and then repackaged for the foreign market... At least until Mego got to making their own molds and cheapened them up.

There's really no comparison between the vintage Microman figs and the Mego versions. And as far as repros go, the quality varies. The best repros were the Acroyear, Cosmo Satan Arden and Lady Command M-18x figures. The M13x Spy Magician figures are decent, but the details on the head are really smoothed over. Still like them, but compared to an original and you immediately notice the difference.
dokuroking

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the best of the repro stuff are the Microknights. From my understanding they were pulled from the original molds (rather than recast from existing toys or being resculpted [like the repro Robotman head]). The detail on them is really sharp. I think all of the repros are really pretty nicely done, but as micromanzone stated all of their head details are pretty soft. Compared to what you would have paid for originals especially at that time or up until the point that the repros came out, they're plenty good for the price. For me personally I'd rather buy the repros and spend the bigger money on stuff that wasn't reproed rather than getting all original but that's just me, working on a limited toy budget haha.
micromanzone

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dokuroking wrote:
I think the best of the repro stuff are the Microknights. From my understanding they were pulled from the original molds (rather than recast from existing toys or being resculpted [like the repro Robotman head]). The detail on them is really sharp. I think all of the repros are really pretty nicely done, but as micromanzone stated all of their head details are pretty soft. Compared to what you would have paid for originals especially at that time or up until the point that the repros came out, they're plenty good for the price. For me personally I'd rather buy the repros and spend the bigger money on stuff that wasn't reproed rather than getting all original but that's just me, working on a limited toy budget haha.

You are indeed correct. The repro Command M15x & M16x, Micro Knights, Hoodman and the Rescue Command M-25x series were all based on the original molds. The Command M15x & M16x ones are decent, but the quality difference in a side-by-side comparison with the originals is pretty apparent. Heck, the Takara repros of the Micro Knights are tons better than the Romando repros. In general, the Romando repros show discoloring and other quality issues as they age. Not so with the Takara repros.

In general the silver heads on the repros are not as deep/rich as the old figures. I still have a Spy Magician I had as a kid and despite it being heavily played with, the head is flawless. I always wondered what they used for the old silver heads compared to the later heads since they are better quality. The heads of the figures from the Police Keeper line onwards shows rubs from use.

One thing to note with the Micro Knights: The shoe size of original Police Keeper M23x and Micro Knights are shorter than the shoes on the later releases in the original line. The repro Micro Knights have the longer shoes. But past that, it's pretty hard to tell the difference. Always wondered why they had yet another short/long shoe issue after a similar adjustment in the original Microman Zone line.

The worst repros were the M10x barefoot figures. The heads are weird, and the feet/hands don't work as well as their vintage counterparts.
Alex77

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing all this info, really appreciate it. I've got a couple of the Mego time travellers, and I hate the faces on them. They look like balls of crumpled tin foil.
Funny when I was younger I had Biotron, the galactic Cruiser (MIC01 Space Buggy), Microtron (MR1 Micro Robot), and couldn't find any figures for love nor money, seems to be no shortage of them on Ebay now!

I really like the Titan magnemo figures, and the Machine Car No.2 Auto Buggy. Has anyone posted pics of these?

The mini Robotman has to be the best figure of the bunch surely? How much are these going for now?

Also, I had a massive blue spaceship/plane that could convert into a tank, it had rubber treads and a cockpit that could be removed, came in a massive box with a Microman command M161 Sheriff figure. I don't think it was part of Micronauts line, does anyone have any idea what this was?
dokuroking

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mini Robotman figures are not cheap for sure it will depend a lot on what condition you are looking for. MIMB will be steep. I've just been trying to piece them together over time (not fun).

I think this is what you used to have:

http://www.microforever.com/cosmicfighters.htm

It was also released in the US as a Kronoform toy. In the UK as a Convertors toy. It was then rereleased in the US again with a modified cockpit for the TMNT Line. For awhile you could pick on a decent one of these for pretty cheap but they've seemed to climb a bit in recent years. It's a great toy though and even better with the sentimental value haha.
Alex77

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell Yeeah! That's it. It was part of the Convertors line when I got it. Can't believe it became part of TMNT, good that it got a new lease of life though. Thanks for that.
dokuroking

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem. You should be able to grab a Convertors version for not too painful of an amount.
micromanzone

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last Mini-Robotman figure I saw for sale here in the U.S. was a few months back on eBay. A completeóbut not in box & without papersóred, white and blue version that ended up selling for $105. Before the recession, I remember seeing similar figures going for $180-$250 in Yahoo! Japan. Not cheap to say the least.

I really donít understand why they never repro'ed that figure. Very rare, very cool and Robotman/Biotron is a very popular and recognizable figure even for non-fans.

Oh well.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    visibleinnards.org Forum Index -> photostories All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: