visibleinnards.org Forum Index
visibleinnards.org Forum Index |  Register |  Log in to check your private messages  |  Log in |  FAQ |  Search | 
Henshin Cyborg Evolution

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    visibleinnards.org Forum Index -> reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KB

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: Henshin Cyborg Evolution Reply with quote

Over the few years it was available Henshin Cyborg went through a number of changes. This is my understanding of how it evolved, if I've got anything wrong then please correct me.

The HC went on sale in late 1972 and was available with three different colour chest engines Silver, Gold and Grey. The Grey version only being available during the first year.

The first HC differed to later ones in a number of ways. Fisrtly they had bigger eyes than the later ones:

This grey one is the only one I've seen for sale on YJ, though there is a picture of a silver HC with similar big eyes in the Takara SF Land Book. These big eyed HC were only available for a very brief period

The big eyes were replaced with the smaller ones which we are more familiar with. This was done some time before the Grey finished its run. Here is a gold one with small or normal eyes:

The eyes weren't the only things to be changed, the early feet were larger than the later feet.

It wasn't just HC's feet that were changed in size, KW's were too:

The change in foot size must have happened sometime after the first year, as the Green KW was issued with the bigger feet. The Green KW was only issued after the first year, as it replaced the Blue KW that was only available during the first year.

The larger feet are about 48mm in length, the smaller ones about 42mm

Not prepared to leave well alone, Takara then went on to change the design of the plugs that hold the HC & KW together. The early plugs are on the left, the later ones on the right.

The change in the plugs did not take place at the same time that the feet were changed. As there are small footed HC & KW with the old style plug

Here are the old style plugs on HC and KW

And here is a Yellow KW with the new plugs and a purple KW with the old ones

The change in plugs must have taken place some time before 1974, as around 1974 the HC with the Blue chest engine was issued. These have small feet and the new style of plugs. I understand that the Blue HC was only available during the last year of HC production.

The design of the plugs used on Shonen Cyborg are similar to the old type used on HC. I'm not aware of any change in the construction of Shonen

However the Denys Fisher Cyborg and Muton differ to the Shonen, firstly in using white plugs and secondly in using a similar style to the later HC and KW. They also have the obvious difference of a rubber band holding the legs on, instead of the elastic

Well thats all the differences I've found so far, back to Cyborg spotting for me
hypnotator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crucial thread, KB. You know a great deal. Do you have Japanese friends who help?
Are these your own photos?

I have a grey Henshin Cyborg that was so yellowed when I bought him that I swapped his grey machinery into a better condition silver figure. The silver one is a later issue, with the smaller feet. Taking both figures apart, I noted that the two versions have different mechanisms inside for connecting the hip elastic. In the earlier, big footed figure, the elastic goes up into the chest engine where it hooks inside, I think (my memory is unclear here). The later has a small metal bar at navel level that it loops over. Now that I have swapped engines, the longer elastic of the earlier, yellowed figure (who is dressed as Fishman) makes him loose at the waist. The chest engines are different, the earlier having a hollow bottom and bar inside. The whole figure got retooled. This sometimes happens because moulds are lost, damaged or deteriorate.

There is a Japanese site that goes into some of this stuff, but Iíve never seen anything in English before. Thanks, KB!

http://www.kannet.ne.jp/new.b/cyborg.htm
Neutron X

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GOOD JOB! Very thurough, I hadn't noticed the foot size differences at all.
KB

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link Hypno, and the description of the stringing and chest engine construction.

I hadn't twigged on the three different head types till I saw that site, but there definately are.

The picture of the Grey HC is off YJ, the rest of the pics are mine.

The way HC evolved I pieced together from looking at my own collection and the differences in the figures, plus info from a japanese collectors' listings on YJ. It all fitted together logically.
KB

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was trawling my collection of pictures from sales on YJ and came accross this HC with the bigger eyes.

bryanarchy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing thread, KB! This is really interesting!
cyborgbushcricket

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

henshin foot sizes with scales, how freaking geeky is that!! fantastic.
KB

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super geeky, I try my best
hypnotator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geekily indispensible.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    visibleinnards.org Forum Index -> reviews All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: