visibleinnards.org Forum Index
visibleinnards.org Forum Index |  Register |  Log in to check your private messages  |  Log in |  FAQ |  Search | 
Repro Cocobat Joe and Cocoboy Base 2x0 Version

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    visibleinnards.org Forum Index -> reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hypnotator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Repro Cocobat Joe and Cocoboy Base 2x0 Version Reply with quote

It’s been a while since I posted any reviews – partly because of the underwhelmingly lukewarm response I got to my Microman Acromuzan and Shinsei Gamera review (only one post? Come on chaps! They may not be rarities but you can still appreciate good toy design and the effort I put into the photos even if the dollar value is minimal. Surely reviews of these commonplace items are valid as they help you decide whether you want to shell out for something that’s actually available).

Enough bitching. Now that the sunshine has returned, it’s time to review some of my recent acquisitions, starting with Repro Cocobat Joe (with the transparent grasshopper costume) and Cocoboy Base 2x0 Version. Both are made by Medicom.

I never dared to hope that I would own a Cocobat Joe, but this one came up and nobody else bid! He’s not the original, which is slightly more sought, but the transparent costume is great. The head sculpt is a truly weird thing, very much in the spirit of the Henshin Cyborg bird, fish and beetle man suits.

Here is the basic figure naked, which is less of a brittle thing than the Cocoboy figures and the 12” figure I got with the clear Sharkman, and is more like a Henshin Cyborg body, albeit with a “fat pants” pelvis and some fairly loose points of articulation, like the shoulders, which don’t hold the arms up. I have to say that despite the cool designs, Medicom bodies are inferior to those of Takara or Denys Fisher figures.

There is no inner brain, unlike Cocoboy and Skullbonz.

He does have peepy-toe socks, though. Are these something to do with whatever weird variation of Japanese violent sport he participates in? Please don’t answer; I’m not sure I want to know.

The peepy toe socks also have peepy cut-away heels. Kinky! His ankle joints are weak, so he is really hard to stand up. After a lot of cursing within earshot of my born-again Christian neighbors, I had to resort to the figure stand.

Who’d go boxing in spectacles? I love the Victorian style swimsuit. Mrs. Hypnotator says it gives him a big “packet”. These plimsolls are best for standing him and I display him like this at the moment.

Cocoboy Base 2x0’s crocodile suit is transparent vinyl that has been sprayed silver, so it is still transparent in places, but the effect is subtle. I already have the regular Cocoboy and Skullbonz figures so I didn’t feel the need to slice this fellow out of his suit.

Cococroc party! I have the original Cocoboy and Skullbonz displayed out of their costumes and I have their suits displayed on a Mego body and a spare KWJr.

Cocoboy looks more Japanese than Cocobat Joe. The inner brain is a fairly clumsy lump of vinyl. I removed the brains from my regular Cocoboy and Skullbonz and it took ages with a hairdryer. You have to handle these toys carefully as they’re notorious for breaking.
GUYx1
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great review Hypno!
Love those cocobat toys!

I am a bit of a COCOBAT fiend.
Okay a few bits of info:
I looked closer - the UNIQUE vinyl shorts are there you just didn't mention them.
The reason the vinyl shorts are cool is that it harkens back to the old Henshin costumes and
As the other cocobat dolls never came with a vinyl waist, people usually show off this feature.

The Really sought after doll is inded the bright green cocobat joe Takeshit grasshopper figure. AKA The Good Guy.
The Head is Takeshit from the band cocobat.
That doll sold out from the store ZAAP! immediately and was never issued as a second run. Making it highly sought after.
I suppose the "repro" would be a second run if there was one.
However the three 12" dolls all showed up within roughly the same year.
The term "repro" is rather misleading. REPAINT is more like it.
Skull Head Joe (darker grasshopper) apparently had a 2nd run but from all the skullheadjoes I have examined, nothing distinguishes the second run of Skullhead joe dolls from the 1st run of skullhead joe dolls.

The dolls all came equipped with various KICKBOXING outfits and acessories.
There is also a series of additional outfits for the dolls, however those outfits often surpass the price of the doll, making the novelty appeal marginal at best.

Ben, I know it is short, do you know if it is possible to upload the
cocoboyz CD ROM to youtube?
I have the Cocobat VHS mini movie as well and I'd love to upload this stuff to show people.
gort

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice review Hypno, great pics.

I'm loving those crocodile suits, I've seen pics before but this is the first time they've really caught my attention.
Neutron X

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very cool! COCBAT JOE rocks! I think the grasshopper head sculpt is great! Thanks for the post!
hypnotator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the UNIQUE vinyl shorts are there you just didn't mention them

I'm not sure I got these unless you're referring to the black pair of shorts he is wearing when he is in the grasshopper costume. This toy had been opened, so perhaps the seller kept them.

Quote:
The dolls all came equipped with various KICKBOXING outfits and acessories.

Do the regular Cocobat Joe and Skullhead Joe come with the Victorian swimsuit, plimsolls and boxing gloves, then? Are they the same colours?

Quote:
do you know if it is possible to upload the
cocoboyz CD ROM to youtube?

I've no idea how to go about doing this.
GUYx1
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a bit of Grassbopper vs Croc artwork:

SPEAK OF THE DEVIL. SHOUT AT THE DEVIL
KNEE IN THE BELLY OF THE BEAST
DOMINATE OVER THE MOUNTAIN TOP!

Hypno,

Don't forget the pus-sensor , optiscanner , hopper saw & hopper bandages.

You can see Takeshit on the far left:

The Cocobat Joe heads look like TakeShit on perhaps a better day than this photo was taken.

I just love hearing it referred to as a victorian swimsuit, so
I hate to spoil the fun and claim it to be a kick boxing training leotard.
Off to the beach we go then.

The "vinyl shorts" I was referring to are the vinyl bit
placed over the nude doll's waist.

That vinyl waist was EXCLUSIVE to the clear version of Cocobat Joe,
but probably doesn't stand out if you don't own the other figures.

The Green dolls and cocoboys were advertised well ahead of release in
HOBBY JAPAN.

In 1998 when the Clear figure came into being,
was a very exciting time for 12" Japanese figures.
It was initially something of a SURPRISE to see it come out at all.
I was very happy to trade away a pile of stuff to obtain mine way back then.

I didn't notice the "power bandage" vinyl fighting hands.

These came in clear and smoke color, but were probably exclusive to the
green grasshopper men.

The boxing gloves, shoes and "leotard" were put in to differentiate the clear figure yet again from the Previous issues.
More gear to put cyborgs in the Shooto Fighting league.

Hard to keep track of all the the suits issued as Cocobat costumes and all the similar variation fighting gear.

As you purchase Ruminaborg, Machroid (not to mention our old buddy Satake Cyborg),
you will also see even more interptretations of this fighting gear

hypnotator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't "Shout at the Devil" a Lee Marvin film?

Quote:
That vinyl waist was EXCLUSIVE to the clear version of Cocobat Joe, but probably doesn't stand out if you don't own the other figures.

I just looked again, and you're right, as ever, there is indeed a weird pair of vinyl incontinence pants on this figure that I hadn't even noticed. This accounts for the fat pants look that i attributed to the pelvis. I wouldn't try to remove them; it looks as fraught an exercise as trying to remove the vinyl "Croc" suit off the smaller figures (ie it's impossible unless you use a scalpel) and you wonder how they put it together like that in the factory.

Quote:
I just love hearing it referred to as a victorian swimsuit, so
I hate to spoil the fun and claim it to be a kick boxing training leotard.
Off to the beach we go then.

Tee hee all I need now is a straw boater (a la Doofus) to complete the look. I wonder if they ever made one for Barbie's Ken or some Happy Meal toy. Kiss me quick!

Quote:
I didn't notice the "power bandage" vinyl fighting hands. These came in clear and smoke color, but were probably exclusive to the
green grasshopper men.

You're quite right; I didn't get these. I've dug the leaflet out just for you, Guy, and the Victorian swimsuit is a "Suits-Heavy", the plimsoll is a "Smashoe", the boxing gloves are "Super-Bombers", the peepy socks are "Ultra-Support" (sounds like a surgical truss) and the vinyl incontinence pants are "Victory".
GUYx1
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hypno,
Be careful not to resort to exacting
the Han Solo "TaunTaun" effect on any more vinyl creatures!
I have taken apart every toy imaginable without the use of an exacto knife.
I do however use a liberal amount of boiling water.
It has never failed me.
(However I have scalded myself on more than a few occasions.)

Here is the closest hat I could find.
It can be found on the reissue "FRIDAY NIGHT DREAM DATE KEN"

Perhaps a doll seller will sell one loose.

hypnotator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way to go Guy! Is there nothing you can't find?

Here is my interpretation:

"Friday Night Dream Date Cocobat Joe"

I wanted to do "Saturday Morning Dream Date Cocbat Joe" too, when he wakes up with a hangover looking like shit. Unfortunately time does not permit.
johnnyhaggis

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, what a great thread! You go Hypno and Guy!

I have skullhead joe but never got a hold of Cocobat joe - and it's to bad, he seems to have huge nuts as Hypno noticed!
GUYx1
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny, better watch out.
Now that I have a new camera I do have an informative COCOBAT article coming...
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    visibleinnards.org Forum Index -> reviews All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: