visibleinnards.org Forum Index
visibleinnards.org Forum Index |  Register |  Log in to check your private messages  |  Log in |  FAQ |  Search | 
this section...

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    visibleinnards.org Forum Index -> auctions to watch...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bryanarchy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: this section... Reply with quote

I guess we'll see how this section goes. I don't know if it's a good idea or not because i don't really want people flogging their own auctions, or trying to screw people like i've seen happen on other boards with bidding up their own auctions with fake accounts.

The other reason i'm leary is there's also people who get a bit annoyed with people posting auctions because it may end up costing them more to win something. I guess it's more their problem than anything, but don't get upset if someone grumbles at you for posting it.

If you have an afiliation with the auction, be forthright with that information. If you feel it's just something people may be interested in then post away.

just respect!!
johnnyhaggis

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YIkes - actually, I totally hate it when people post auctions. There I am about to bid on something that no one even knows is there because it's badly listed, a piece I've been looking for in vain for ages, and then BOOM someone says "yo, check out this auction!" and then zap it goes right out of my range in 5 seconds!! Why don't we just keep this with the stuff for sale, and peopel could post their own auctions.

I do think it's good that we're forming this bigger community 'cause in the end more people means more people selling stuff, but dang, auctions are by nature competitive, and especially if you aren'y hypa laoded, you gott guard your secrets...
bryanarchy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's totally the sentiment i'm teetering on... I had the most amazing secret auction with the most misspelled mislabeled toy ever and i know i wouldn't have been able to afford it if someone posted a link.

maybe mentioning auctions is something left to pm?

I don't mind people posting insane auctions like that dude who sold 40 toxic phantoms as a lot just because that's absurd...

Any other thoughts?
GUYx1
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's how I handle things - If I know the item is something somebody wants, I PM them first.
(I have a great auction right now that I immediatley emailed HYPNO on)
Howeer I know there is a 90% chance he won't bid on it.
Thus I wait for a reply...
You remember teh auctions I posted?
Out of Every auction I ever posted, Nobody ever jumped on them.
the last toxie box set I posted the auction shut down because it stayed at 1500 yen!

I think most of us will still be safe. If somebody in the WANT LIST section wants a KWII "EVIL" head I'm not gonna list it, but PM him.

That's how I work anyway.
Still working on the Devil costumes for ya Johnny!
Tekwych

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not fond of posting auctions but at the same time I don't monitor YJA as I don't have access. I set up a BST thread (Buy / Sell / Trade) for people to go directly to an informed group, interested in what they have / need. Sales don't have the security of an third party auction site but you don't pay a fee and are working with a known person n the other end.
johnnyhaggis

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THanks Guy!

I still don't think it's a good idea, 'casue you're friends with some of us but not all. Someone out there might get shafted. Also, sometimes I'm interested in something that isn't crazy rare, but it's something that people aren't paying attention too, 'cause it's on the backburner. When someone starts even discussing it, then you start to get competition 'cause all of a sudden people are like "hey, magenforce I forgot about those, let's see fi any are on ebay - hey look, ther's one for $5, I think I'll bid" - slam!

Not the end of the world, but that's my feeling on it.
Tekwych

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing we could do is post a thread with our names at YJA and eBay so we can try not to get into a bid war with each other. Knowing who else has bid on something allows you to avoid the auction or go to the person and plead your case for their dropping out.
jmachinder

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 2:44 am    Post subject: Live Auctions Reply with quote

I guess I'm one of the people who's not a fan of posting live auctions, but feel there's a world of difference between posting a mislabeled live auction and one that people who care about the item should have bookmarked.

I've had great experiences with CLOSED auction threads, where people discuss how much items went for and who wound up getting them. These turn out to be great references down the line for evaluating prices.
johnnyhaggis

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 12:36 am    Post subject: LET'S PLEASE AXE SECTION IN FAVOUR OF CLOSED AUCTIONS Reply with quote

Already there's one auction that I would have bid on had it not been flashily posted in this section, and people already claimed it and dividing it up...

People often don't even care about auctions and let them go by until they get discussed, thus sparking interest. For example on Micro E, people started talking about Magne Force microman which I previously had no interest in, and then all of a sudden decided to pick up some cheap.

I reall, really, really, really don't like that this section exists at all. All it's going to do is screw me and other people out of auctions that people might not even have cared about.

I stay totally silent about things until after I've won or lost them, except with clsoer friends in case they were looking at them. I'm friends with maybe 5 or six people here. I won't compete with those people, at least not knowingly. Often if I know someone's interested or has bid, I back off or ask them if they plan on bidding. But now with other people discussiong auctions publicly, if I try to outbid them, I'll be seen as a traitor.

This sucks for many reasons -
1. it will inflate prices and increase competition for sleeper items that people may not have cared about until they were broadcast.
2. it will cause ill will between people who were planning on quietly bidding vs people publicly announcing and discussing bidding and staking claims on the forum.

For these reasions my vote is LET'S PLEASE AXE SECTION IN FAVOUR OF CLOSED AUCTIONS

and p.s. I'm not against posting auctions sometimes - mostly it's best if they've been sitting there un-bid for several cycles relisted several times.
bryanarchy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I think that maybe this section isn't the greatest idea. People have presented a very strong case for not wanting it. I feel that it's a situation where the question is: what's gonna make more people upset; if the section is or isn't here? I think people will be more upset if it's here.

I'm learning that sometimes collecting is very competitive and discovering those golden deals and holy grails is a thing you keep to yourself (at least until the auction is over). I hope in some ways we can maybe rise above this on this board, and as we get to know each other better, help each other out but for now, at least, try to refrain from posting auctions until they're done.

Cool?
BAZ

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a tough one!!!
Me and Guy have already discussed this kinda thing, and I still think it's SELFISH to NOT list auctions.................................
And I guess I'M SELFISH.....................
So please don't list auctions!!!
BUT!!!!!
I'm VERY happy to help out other collectors with trades n stuff.
I honestly go for larger lots on YJ or Ebay (on ALL things I collect) to complete uniforms, grab interesting pieces, then flog my excess or "unwanted" pieces.
So, I'm deffo up for a trades section Mr. Green
GUYx1
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also like the idea of PMing each other when some of those LOTS show up. You never know when say a GREEN WALDER hand or something may show up in a parts lot. If we split everything down the middle, the price is not nearly as steep. and we all can complete our figures.

I'm a commie at heart and want to work for the good of the Collective...
BAZ

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OI!!!!!!!!
I know that's aimed at ME!!!!
BUT, here's where the "trading" works.............maybe.
Who knows, maybe I'll just get some clear green paint for meself!
Laughing
bryanarchy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll throw my hat in and say i would be into chipping in for a lot if it was a good one.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    visibleinnards.org Forum Index -> auctions to watch... All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: