visibleinnards.org Forum Index
visibleinnards.org Forum Index |  Register |  Log in to check your private messages  |  Log in |  FAQ |  Search | 
Auction Ettiquette
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    visibleinnards.org Forum Index -> auctions to watch...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnnyhaggis

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yojugod wrote:

Frankly, I like the YJP way better. Its more like a real auction and it prevents someone from sniping something out from under you for a low price. Most bidders on YJP take the time to think about their limit and place bids appropriately. No last minute "I shoulda" or "OMFG, what did I just do!" bids. Or at least less of them!

I really disagree about that. On YHJ everyone still goes nuts at the end in the last ten minutes and bids up and up and up over and over again. THe only difference is that since it extends to ten minutes whenever someone bids (actully it only extends to 6 minutes, but it says 10 because anything between 5 and 10 is listed as 10 minutes left) the price goes sky high. The extention gives people the opportunity to be totally obsessive-compulsive and say "I thought my max was $50, but man I really want it, anther $5-10 bucks doesn't hurt, it's worth it, It's mine, no one can take it away from me!" so they go higher and higher. YHJ auctions suck because the prices go waaay higher than ebay auctions.

In an ebay auction you bid in the last 10 seconds and it doesn't give people the chance to go bonkers and readjust their bids, and conversely you also don't have time to raise your bid if you snipe doesn't work. If in an ebay auction you bid early, then you see people bidding up one dollar at a time until they beat you. Once I had to bid early cause I wasn't going to be at the computer. A microman figure and with my bid it was at $12. SOme kid bid a dollar over and over until it went to $28 and he beat me. If I'd have been able to snipe it, I'd have had it for $12 or 13.
xyborg77

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: always a long winded response. Reply with quote

since ive relied so heavily on the advice from this forum, i try to never bid against anyone if i can recognize there bidder name. so its easier for me, because im stoked on the advice and education ive recieved. but in other auctions, i meerley figure out the maximum id pay for said item and try to bid as late as i can. this way, if im outbid, its like, fuck it, ill find it for cheaper later. with the other things in life im interested in buying, in my normal lifetime, id run across 2 or 3 in my day to day routine and be blown away at such finds. but since ebay, you can find most of the same things week to week or month to month. because there were thousands produced. its funny because i used to hem and haw at buying a hand painted banner (of which there were probably less than 500 made) that was made 100+ years ago for more than 50 dollars. now im buying hunks of machine molded plastic for the same amount or more. it has put some perspective on the waiting game for me.
by the way, the hunks of plastic look really awesome in a room full of outsider art and handpainted secret society banners. really, really cool.
thanks for all your help bros!
thebigr

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

working for an ebay store, i guess i have an odd perspective:

-i bid early, usually within 3-4 days to go, to within the "OMFG! $5-20 extra doesn't matter on this piece!" level, then forget about it, unless it's in my ITEMS WON box. You'd be surprised what i get sometimes and for how much with this method.

-if i see a user from the board that i can identify, or even if its kinda similar to a handle from here/oldplace, i let that item lie; its not mine, its theirs, they can battle it out with the general public. i'll find my own! Smile

-I **constantly** scour BUY IT NOW auctions. Again, you'd be surprised to see what some people put up that you never ever see and miss out on because it was a BIN, they put it in their Ebay Store and you weren't online, and someone else snagged it first.

I never use an auction service for Ebay; i actually like that YJP! does the 10 min reset thing, if Ebay did that, it would really *benefit* the experience, how many times have you as a seller searched completed listings and thought, "damn, maybe i shouldn't sell this; the last one up sold for $5 and was only bid on at the last minute, or ended with no bids!" i'm sure many with toys nowadays, with the market as it is, have not put up their Walders for sale when viewing BG's completed auctions sometimes.

i'm *never* afraid to share auctions or ebay secrets, by the time i;ve shared them, ive got 5 new ones. Plus, even with rarer items, there will almost always be the same thing cheaper, and usually after you see a HC auction end high, within 3 days you see a slew of other auctions come up for simlar stuff.

i've had some ebay stalkers before... it does really suck.

Perhaps, here's an idea: make the AUCTIONS section only viewable by registered members, or only those with 10+ posts or something like that...
yojugod

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny-

Interesting, as my experience on YJP has been the exact opposite. Unless its some foolish Gaijin (just like I was at one time) who doesn't know how YJP works, the serious Japanese bidders tend to bid sometime during the last 24 hours and 9 times out of 10 leave off after that. I generally try to follow suit and stick to my max price point on any item.

Some pieces you just know will be hotly contested no matter what. Those are the ones that you have to battle for. Since I don't collect other vinyl toys, perhaps I don't see the same things you see on YJP.

I know I had to fend off some last minute frenzied bidding for the MAT Member New Joe figure/outfit I won a while back. But I expected that. Many other pieces are pretty much done at the 9 hour mark.

I made my peace with the cost of items a long time ago. I never expect to pay less than market value and consider myself lucky and pleasantly surprised when I do.
johnnyhaggis

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is strange. It has happened of course that things are decided 9hrs or a day in advance, as you say. This was the case with the new microman waldar bodies for example. But most of the time I'm bidding in the last 10 minutes over and over again - often against that scourge Moonlab!

In general, I find that if I'm not there when the auction is ending, I tend to lose it far more often than not. That's much more the case with ebay. Prices explooode on ebay if you don't snipe.

I bet I coul dhave won that hanuman ape if I had been around. My max bid was $55, and I bid a day early 'cause I was out of town. It ended at $58, and there were some bumps.

But maybe you're right, maybe we're not looking at the same things.
johnnyhaggis

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey - I noticed that the last post on this thread was one year ago today! And it was myself that last posted. Happy anniversary last post!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    visibleinnards.org Forum Index -> auctions to watch... All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: