visibleinnards.org Forum Index
visibleinnards.org Forum Index |  Register |  Log in to check your private messages  |  Log in |  FAQ |  Search | 
Assemble Torg

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    visibleinnards.org Forum Index -> general henshin
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hypnotator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:24 am    Post subject: Assemble Torg Reply with quote

Okay heís really called Daitetoku Build Dokuro King. This is another one day wonder license kit from Wonderfest. Unfortunately I had to pay Yahoo Japan resale price for him though.

Kaiyodoís Assemble Borg series stole heavily from the design ideas of Henshin Cyborg and Microman. Itís fair enough because Takara-Tomy stopped bothering to produce these excellent toy lines. The idea behind this kit is that it converts an Assemble Borg figure into the celebrated character from the Henshin Cyborg line, Dokuro King.

Daitetoku Build have used quite a bit of artistic license with the design. Most noticeable is the rather cartoony look to the boot skulls. My first thoughts were that they should have stuck closer to the original Dokuro King design, but Iíve had plenty of time to evaluate him while making him up, and Iíve decided I like the new look, and whatís the point in having a Dokuro King identical to all the others? His hands are in a less menacing pose than the raking originals, presumably because individual fingers would be too fragile at this scale. The shoulder spikes have been relocated to his back, where they are fixed with the Assemble Borg joint system, which means they are articulated and interchangeable.

He has a nice visible innards feature Ė a chest front that removes to reveal his guts and an alternative brain head. The torso and brain are moulded in transparent plastic so you can keep these features nice and see-through if you paint them up with clear paints.

There was a large casting bubble at the bottom of his torso, which I had to fill with putty. I had to paint one organ opaque to hide this.

In fact there was a lot of puttying and sanding involved in making this kit. Here is a pic I took before I started. I bought a spare Jarknoid XO figure to provide the limbs.

I had to drill out all the holes for the joint system. This was tricky, particularly in the smaller parts like the hands. The diameter of the pins wasnít quite compatible with my drill bit, and the resulting holes were too loose, so I had to line each hole with super glue to make them tighter (of course I let the glue dry overnight before trying the pins or they would have got stuck in place). If a hole was then too tight, I filed it out with a needle file. Hours of fun. Iím not complaining though. Iím really delighted with this figure and I was halfway through making him when I realised that he was going to be fully interchangeable with the whole Assemble Borg toy line.

Letís assemble!

Thanks again to Zira for obtaining this for me and Dokuroking for his invaluable guidance.
IVA

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a really cool spin on a classic image, the inner brain head looks great too. NICE WORK Hypno!!!!
KB

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fucking awesome Hypno, that is just so fucking awesome.

Love the interchangability, especially the one with the big silver legs. And those clear guts, great stuff. Hats off to Daitetoku for the concept and casting (even if it does sound like a total bitch to build).

You and Guy are spoiling us, we'll only expect to see more you know.
Hotmitts

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful! AssembleTorg!
GUYx1
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! Shocked
Completely gobsmacked over this one Hypno!
How long you been at this one?
hypnotator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks boys!

Quote:
How long you been at this one?

I was juggling this one with the SVL Apollo and Tector since autumn, but giving them priority as I had started them first. He was much easier to paint than them though.

Quote:
Love the interchangability, especially the one with the big silver legs.

Yeah I liked the chunky legs too, so I used a similar arrangement on Tristriker when I put him back together.

Assemble Borg are really a toy that needs to be played with, not just bought and displayed like I usually do. Doing a review like this gets me spending some proper time with them, realizing their potential.

Quote:
You and Guy are spoiling us, we'll only expect to see more you know.

Itís always a pleasure, KB, but we wanna see your stuff too!
KB

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The legs remind me of cloven hoves / satan / pan / Nemesis
great
hypnotator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't noticed the satyr aspect. The other thing is that Assemble Borgs are notorious little fuckers for falling over unless you beef up their legs and feet.
microbry

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's my main complaint, is I can never get any of mine to stay posed for any prolonged period. They are always crashing off my shelves when I try and I eventually gave up. I also find them too hard to part-swap on and just a pain to mess with. I admire the many forms you've gotten out of them, and I've found a couple of my own I like, but the style of "play" for these guys still doesn't work for me.

...that said, were they using licensed Microman and Acroyear designs, or doing these entirely in 10cm format (not just the mini extras) I'd be soooo their bitch. I'd love to see the Microman 1999 Acroyears done in this scale and format in particular.
dokuroking

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not had the falling over problem at all and mine are in pretty kicked poses between playing with them. If you cross the joint direction to the foot direction it usually makes for a pretty stable leg position.
hypnotator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it took me a while to love the ABs but they really are excellent. As Dokuro King says, you get better at posing them with time, as well as pulling the pins out. Opposing the joint directions is good for standing and if you bend a joint and twist carefully you can get the stubborn pins in and out, and use a hairdryer if all else fails. As I said, these toys really demand that you play with them.

Check Sonic Slasher out - he IS an Acroyear. Presumably Takara-Tomy wouldn't grant more than a one day license for actual HC characters but thank goodness someone is carrying the torch. Takara-Tomy need to hang their heads in shame for their neglect of their own great HC and MM toylines.
microbry

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naw, it's not the ankles on mine, it's the actual pivot points where the joints insert into the parts. Maybe it's the climate here or something, but they always slip under the weight of the parts over time--sometimes after a few days, sometimes within hours. It's not just the borgs, but other revoltechs I've had do the same thing usually and I have had to stand them in really boring neutral upright poses to get them to stay upright properly.

It's okay though, these are too spendy for me to collect in any number anyway, and am still not a fan of the figure size, at least for this (all bets are off if Daiteikoku or someone does the right kits for my taste or such, lol). I'm debating whether to sell off the ones I have or let them sit around longer in case I have a change of heart later or want to use the parts for stuff. It is nice the parts are compatible with the later 3mm-based Microman stuff along with Zoids and such. I'm sure I'll make some nice stuff out of them in that direction later with enough free time and such.

Speaking of Daiteikoku, I need to build my kit from them of MechaAcroyear (upgrades a magneforce figure and comes with a Diaclone Inchman-style figure of Acroyear Kaiser). It has parts for both the tank and upright modes. Very Happy I have B-Toru's kits for Robotman and Robotmachine Z so I plan to build all three at the same time some day along with some Astro Midget vehicle kits from Enari and some other fun stuff. One of these days...
hypnotator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each to his own and I wasn't too sure about AB at first myself even though I'm sold on them now.

I can't wait to see your stuff. Whenever it happens please post it here!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    visibleinnards.org Forum Index -> general henshin All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: