visibleinnards.org Forum Index
visibleinnards.org Forum Index |  Register |  Log in to check your private messages  |  Log in |  FAQ |  Search | 
Skumm Bumms

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    visibleinnards.org Forum Index -> walder approved non-cyborg toys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GUYx1
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:36 pm    Post subject: Skumm Bumms Reply with quote

I am a huge fan of post-apocalyptic films, books and toys.

Does anyone else out there collect Tech Deck Skumm figures? I know someone must.

The company X-concepts was very big on creating toys for both the “ART TOY” market, as well as the extreme sports market. Somewhere in the bizarre middle ground came Tech Deck Dudes and Skumm.
Super Kinetic Ultra Magnetic Men of the 22nd century.
I remember in 2002, there were racks of these figures on end caps of the TARGET toy aisles. These figures were created by x-concepts and shelved in the the category of extreme sports action figure aisle. Hanging right up there where the motocross toys are displayed today. This toyline however had a decidedly Mad Max / Road Warrior look to them which made them stand apart.
Skumm figures were 4 inches in height – similar to micronauts In their skeletal build and were dressed in sewn on pleather outfits. Each figure had magnetic feet to cling to skateboards like the Tech Deck dude figures. but much more manacing with a punk edge.
The Road Warrior color schemes really worked well. And brought in a level of depth that was lacking in the “starwars style” Steel Monsters road warriors from Tonka Toys.

Click below for the promotional post-apocalyptic SKUMM movie:
http://www.webtempest.biz/SKUMM/website/index.htm

A second series was much like the George Romero movie Knightriders and came with motorcycles & jousting gear.
Those figures featured more articulation for bike riding poses and had great accessories.
Admittedly I took one look at the later figures and thought they would blow my mind.

However when you actually see the new figures up close something is missing on the later figures.
Despite all the crazy articulation improvements, color schemes really do makes a difference.
You have to be careful with your use or overuse of color.
The bright colors almost detract from the cool punk look of the original figures.

Here are most of the original set unmasked.

The orignal set kept to more neutral earth tones.
thebigr

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, never saw these before! I love 1:18 figures!
hypnotator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never saw these before. When were they, the '80s?
Looks like the stands are metal so they magnetize to them like Magne Force. Some of the designs are wild. I particularly like the black guy who looks normal until he puts his trippy helmet on.
Neutron X

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep the pics coming Guy! This is a great toy line!
KB

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting stuff, never seen these figures before. They look really cool - real road warrior stuff

Got to agree with Hypno that trippy helmet with the white tubes is great.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    visibleinnards.org Forum Index -> walder approved non-cyborg toys All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: