visibleinnards.org Forum Index
visibleinnards.org Forum Index |  Register |  Log in to check your private messages  |  Log in |  FAQ |  Search | 
TOMMY GUNN
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    visibleinnards.org Forum Index -> walder approved non-cyborg toys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KB

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great find Neutron.
tommygunn900

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: tommy gunn Reply with quote

[img][/img]
GUYx1
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OI,
looks like you missed part of your post there TG900!
Neutron X

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone catch the Zodiac Tommy Gunn Deep Sea Diver set a few months back? Really simple set with vinyle suit,space helmet (reused) small octopus, and boots.
Neutron X

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TOMMY GUNN FIND! I finally got my hands on a MINI Tommy GUNN KO FIGURE in Mego scale! The figure is a very hard to find and is called the Adventurer! Here are some pics! I did repaint eyebrows so originals are thinner ect. ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!

KB

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats an interesting one Neut. Where was he made and by who, and how is the body constructed?
Neutron X

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Figure turns at waist, shoulders and hips similarto a Ken.

This Mego link can explain it better than I http://megomuseum.com/aj/adventurer.shtml It is believed this figure may have been a cheap way to for Mego to sell left over Action Jackson uniform sets from the factory.
sf1378

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What annoys me is Action Man collectors on actionmanhq.co.uk consider TG as a knock off of A.M...It isn't, it was being designed in 1965, a year earlier than Action Man was even released in the UK by Palitoy....Pedigree was hardly a cheap shoddy company and in many ways T.G.s construction was far superior compared to A.M....especially the thigh joints being of one piece whereas A.M. had ball joint hips and separate thighs connected together....

I admire the Zodiac dolls as Zodiac had the nous to get a licence for an own brand for their stores and working in tandem with Hong Kong manufacturers they uses the Dynaman/Mister Double Action ranges of clothing and accessories to create a range of clothing too. I.E. the T.G. Medic uniform or the Skydiver (Zodiac stuff) is identical to the Dynaman versions....
Neutron X

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole knock off thing is very subjective. The dirty truth is Gijoe could be considered a knock off of Ken the original male action figure. Many companies considered to knock off Gijoe uniforms were already in production making 1/6 male accessories before Gijoe even went into production. I know I am talking in broad terms here in that Hasbro was the company to take the military themes and take off with it.

Pedigree Tommy Gunn is top notch. I think many collectors use the term Knock off as a way to limit what they collect. If its a Knock Off I don't need it ect. Many sets that are considered knock offs were prefered by me as a boy. A bag of Mr. Action Accessories? Hell Yeah!!!!! With Hasbro producing so little military stuff in 1970s Adventurer, Mr Action, Fighting Yank, and Action Buddy filled in with great accessories and at less than half the price too!

I think a more accurate descitpion would be "ME TOO" rather than knock off. If Gijoe is number one selling toy then as another Toy company you have to have a product to compete with it. With exclusive agreements and minimum orders smaller retailers needed a product they could sell. There were more Knock Offs made than Gijoe/Action Man! Trust me you can go crazy or broke sorting it all out. Very Happy
As a Collecector. Tiny Tommy Gunn rocks with tons of custom potential. Fits in with Cyborg and Megos! Or how about an awesome soldier to fight Muton? HMMMMMMMMM?

The 1/6 scale figure shown with mini Tommy Gunn is an Action Buddy.
BAZ

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tommy Gunn stuff was much better than Palitoy's stuff!
Hard for me to say being an avid Action Man collector, but it's
true!
sf1378

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, but you mean the 1960's Pedigree stuff? The ZODIAC stuff was imaginative but derived from the DYNAMAN range-basically ZODIAC used the same molds and factories that made TOMMY ACTION stuff and perhaps even some of the ACTION STAR HARDY range from ZAPF in WEST GERMANY in the mid 1970s....
Neutron X

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Zapf Action Star Hardy stuff is top notch quality. I have had the black wetsuit set and it was exactly same wet suit as Action Man down to the zipper. The Paruchutist set was great quality too! Who ever they used was quality all the way, very Hasbro like quality.

Dynaman, Mr Action, and probably Zodiac Tommy Gunn all used same factory for production from what I can tell. It is possible it's another factory because it's common business practice to sell/rent/loan molds in China toy factories.
sf1378

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone got pics of the Hardy Action range?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    visibleinnards.org Forum Index -> walder approved non-cyborg toys All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: