visibleinnards.org Forum Index
visibleinnards.org Forum Index |  Register |  Log in to check your private messages  |  Log in |  FAQ |  Search | 
Dragon Buzz Aldrin

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    visibleinnards.org Forum Index -> walder approved non-cyborg toys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hypnotator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:06 pm    Post subject: Dragon Buzz Aldrin Reply with quote

At last I have made time to do this. Glasto was indeed a blast.

As I mentioned in the other thread, Iím not sure whether this figure or the Nasa Apollo Astronaut came first, or which is the more rare. Anyone know? This one lacks the base, which looks nice, but I wouldnít have room for it in my cabinets anyway. The suit is lovely, and apparently they researched and measured the real thing in person. The wonderful tubes that plug into his tummy are actually attached to the backpack, so you canít really display him without the pack, which doubles the space he takes up in a cabinet, unless you want to do without those tubes.

Her he is with the sun visor down. There are also opaque side bits that come down which are very authentic but donít look like much. My biggest beef about this figure is a goldfish bowl style inner helmet that is included. Because his head is hard plastic, this fucking thing doesnít actually fit on at all. I scratched the paint on his forehead trying to get it on. If you ever get one, donít try it. The outer helmet is supposed to fit snugly over the inner one, but you canít use the inner one, so the outer one just sits loosely on his shoulders rather than attaching to the suit properly.

You can see the forehead scratches in this close up, as it is larger than life. The head sculpt is nice although his expression is a little blank.

Side and back views. You can see the chopstick I shoved up his butt to stand him up as it was windy.

He also came with a camera that clips on his chest and ungloved hands but these are in the box in the attic along with the bastard goldfish bowl.
Alex77

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a really nice figure, and great photos, shame about the scratches. Odd though that they went to lengths to make it realistic and ended up making such a gaffe with the gold helmet.

I've yet to see a sci-fi space suit that tops the actual space suit. It would be interesting to see what it would look like if it was designed today, and if it would look dramatically different.
Hotmitts

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry but I completely missed seeing this thread for some reason!

Glad you had a great time at Glastonbury. I did watch some on telly but I'm sure the best and weirdest stuff didn't make it to the box. No John Peel either, sniff.

Thanks for posting these great pics bro'.

The tubes really make this figure, and the gold visor is very nice. Well the whole suit is pretty good.
Dragon are re-releasing a version of this apparently but it may be more expensive than getting an older one off Ebay. Everybody in the 1/6th market is trying to charge Hot Toys prices. Dragon are doing a series of Star Trek Next Generation, they're really gawky and they want over $100 each.

saying that reminded me of the alien party you held for your wedding, the guy who came with full latex make-up as a Star Trek alien, he'd done a really professional job on himself.
hypnotator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought he looked a bit like a Vogon from the telly Hitchhiker. He built the latex up in layers with tissue and put the rest of us to shame although there were some truly great costumes that night. Quite a few got applause on arrival. Really I should show pictures so all the other poor fuckers on this forum know what we are on about, but I have no scans and all my pictures are rather crap on account of me being so pissed that night. Itís the only time I ever shat the bed. A mate has better pics. Iíll try to get scans.

Check Youtube for Glasto footage. The Stranglers were superb.

Buzz was around £60 when he went on sale, which equates very roughly at $100. I managed to pick him up for about that price a few years later when Amazon UK had him at £300.
Hotmitts

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'outer' helmet does have two visors then, a clear one underneath the gold?
I did pick up some 'GiJoe' astronauts, not nearly as impressive but quite nice in a very toy-like way. I might post some pics soon, the camera's out on loan to a friend at the moment. Astronauts are always good.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    visibleinnards.org Forum Index -> walder approved non-cyborg toys All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: