visibleinnards.org Forum Index
visibleinnards.org Forum Index |  Register |  Log in to check your private messages  |  Log in |  FAQ |  Search | 
Know your Cyborgs: Henshin Collection Vs Vintage

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    visibleinnards.org Forum Index -> reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KB

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:06 pm    Post subject: Know your Cyborgs: Henshin Collection Vs Vintage Reply with quote

Thought I'd play spot the difference with the Henshin Collection re-issues and the vintage.

Here's a silver engined vintage with gold and smoked HC Collection

While the vintage has slightly yellowed with age, it has a clear glass like appearance, whereas the re-issue is milky white. The re-issue also feels lighter than the vintage, this is down to the "experimental" / cheap crap plastic they used for the re-issue.

The smoked HC only came with the limited edition Mazinga costume, which is a shame, if you buy a mint in box one its likely to have suffered a nasty chemical reaction that melts the chest. Seems to be worse than with the Dokuro King re-issue. In case anyone wonders there were no smoked vintage HCs, just Android A.

There are a number of differences, a strange one being that on the re-issue the holes in the forearm are offset

With the re-issue they seem to have been trying to replicate the very first HC as they come with the larger much rarer big eyes (yelow on the smoked, orange on the gold). However the re-issue has the smaller feet of the later vintage issues.

I'm suprised that there haven't been any faked big eyed vintage Cyborgs on Yahoo Japan - somthing to watch out for.

The head is also the later vintage style head with no slit in it, whereas the early heads either have a short slit in the nape of the neck or a longer slit to the back of the head

The re-issue also has a date mark in the midle of its back which is absent from the vintage.

Another obvious difference is the Takara Made in Japan C Hasbro Vs the Takara Made in China marks on the right buttock.

A sligthly more subtle difference is in the screw holes in the shoulders. The vintage are not totally circular in appearance, whereas the re-issues are.

The gold re-issue chest engine isn't as deep a gold colour as the vintage, but I've seen vintage gold ones vary on that too.

Should also say the joints on the re-issues are really loose.
hypnotator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again you are the distributor of the crucial minutiae, KB! Even though I have vintage and reissues next to each other on the shelf, I never observed these differences. When you point them out they are not small.

Yeah the shit plastic issue is a bummer, as we have often discussed. Itís such a shame because the reissues look so sharp on the shelf, but the minute you pick Ďem up you can tell something ainít right. Getting the bastards to stand with their keeling over ankles is depressing. Whoops, there he goes again, taking half the shelf with him kerashh!

The reissue Shonens have the same white look, although they are made from decent plastic, compared to a vintage Shonen or a Denys Fisher Cyborg, which have a yellowness that is not just due to age.

I was lucky with my smoked reissue; the clouding on the chest is really minimal. I got him loose without the Mazinga costume, so maybe the seller separated the figure from the costume good and early.

The difference between the arms is surprising. You would think it would be easier to use a vintage as a template rather than completely retool. Regarding neck slits, I thought these were damage caused by wear rather than part of the figure as it was sold.
KB

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't even try to make the re-issues stand by themselves, I just lean them against something. Given your crowded display cabinet it must be like a 10 pin strike when they fall over.

As you say you'd have thought they'd have taken moulds from a vintage one like they did with the Microman re-issues rather than change the design. Perhaps with that crap plastic the forearm would have been too thin in places if it had been the same as the vintage.

What was claimed to be the prototype for the re-issue kept turning up on YJ a couple of years ago,

As for the cut in the back of the heads, this is part of the early design. As the HC design was refined the head was changed and by the last versions the cut had been dispensed with. It is also reflected in a move from a thicker vinyl to a thinner vinyl. The end of the cut has always got a neatly punched hole to stop the cut spreading, something you wouldn't have if the head had just split.

There appear to have been three head types. The first had a long cut with thick vinyl, the second had a cut in the nape of the neck with slightly thinner vinyl and the third was much thinner vinyl with no cut. The different vinyls seem to age differently. The thinner goes milky and opaque, whereas the thin one yellows more but tend to remain transparent.

This pic is nicked from this Japanese web-site which has more on the variations
http://www.kannet.ne.jp/new.b/cyborg2.htm

The King Walder head shows the same variation

first version

second version

and third version
hypnotator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That prototype is interesting. I tried to make moulds for the vintage style HC brain and chest engine, but they went all wonky. The idea was to do transparent machinery like the clear Walder guts I made, or the Stealth Neo. I just donít have enough time or spare Cyborgs for all these custom projects in my head.

Regarding the head slits, I prefer the un-slit heads. When I was a kid, my Muton got rather well-played with and yellowed and his neck started to split laterally, along the line of the groove that holds it in place. I had a friend who was spoiled and he had all the toys you could dream of. My brother and I swapped Commander Power (Super Joe) and Gor with him for a newer Cyborg and Muton but he had slit the heads deliberately, like the ones above but without the round bit, for ease of removal. It seemed a shame to me to wilfully damage them like that.

Later I found bits of Gorís smashed torso at his house. ďI only swapped them off you to smash them.Ē
thebigr

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great guide KB. Thanks!

One day it would be great if we could combine all the guides & reference into one section. I scanned a HC book a while back, KB's guides, Guy's posts... these are all essential reading for the uninitiated, and helped me so much when I was starting out.

It would be great too if we could make a "overstreet price guide" to HC with low prices, to disuade the haircuts from jacking the value on this stuff. So sick of getting beat out on Y!J by mere dollars/minutes only to see it up on eBay a few days later for x3 the price, watch it not sell for months, then disappear forever. This is the 1st week in a while on both Y!J and eBay that there are items that are actually appropriately priced, and I'd like to see that trend continue.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    visibleinnards.org Forum Index -> reviews All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: