visibleinnards.org Forum Index
visibleinnards.org Forum Index |  Register |  Log in to check your private messages  |  Log in |  FAQ |  Search | 
Scream'n Demons

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    visibleinnards.org Forum Index -> walder approved non-cyborg toys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KB

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: Scream'n Demons Reply with quote

The hot rods over in the monster thread got me thinking of all the cool custom rods and chops done in the 70's - and that led me to think about Hasbro (US) / Matchbox (UK) Scream'n Demons.

You don't see many about and there is little on the Web about them. They take two AA batteris and have a motor, though they don't go that fast. However when the motor breaks and you power it with a shove they give Evil Knieval and his stunt cycle a run for his money. I didn't have Evil as a kid, no need, I had a Scream'n Demon.

I always wanted Doom Buggy with the skeleton on the back, however during the summer holidays we used to visit relatives in Scotland, and if we were lucky each visit we would get 20, or possibly 50 pence. Well this added up and was burning a hole in my pocket when we went in John Menzies on Princes Street in Edinburgh - they had Scream'n Demons but only Lunatic Fringe and Big Buzzard, unable to wait I got Big Buzzard. Never got the Doom Buggy (still can't track the fucker down on e-bay either - it seems very few of these survived).

Here is Big Buzzard, this isn't the one I had as a kid, as that got smashed up with all the stunts off ramps.

There is a Visible Innards link here, as in the abscence of any Judge Dredd toys, Big Buzzard used to play the role of Dredd, and this would sometimes include tracking down and catching Muton.

In the UK they released six, though I think there were and extra two in the US - one had a knight theme. Sorry this pick is crap but the battery died on my camera.

This one is Tiger Shark

BAZ

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOOOOOOHHHH!!!!!!
My faves!!!
I WAS obsessed with these for a while, but since owning three
Daredevil Dragouts and selling them, along with three boxed bikes
and a few loose ones I now only have my boxed "Lunatic Fringe"
which was the one I really wanted as a kid!!
BAZ

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hypnotator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I donít collect these, but they recall some fond memories and itís great to see them on this thread.

My brother had Dirty Devil many, many years ago. I can still remember him buying it in our local toyshop (Iíve got so many memories of that shop). This must have been early seventies, and you must have looked after yours, Kaybee, to be playing with him as Judge Dredd, who didnít appear Ďtil í77.

I really wanted one, too, but I never got further that poring over the line up photo on the box. Lunatic Fringe was my favourite as well, with the little canopy, but the name annoyed me. I didnít really understand the expression, as I was only about five, but I knew that a lunatic means a mad person, and that seemed rather un-cool.

A couple of years ago I was at my friendís mumís house which is a huge, converted watermill. His brat nephew was visiting, too. There are lots of rooms in this place, including the old playroom, which still held some of my friendís old toys. The nephew emerged with a Screamín Demon, which he clutched like a gun and pretended to shoot everyone with. I said, ďWow, I remember those, Screamín Demons!Ē and my friend was impressed that I remembered the name, but there was little chance of getting near the thing. Iím not sure which one it was. I wanted to go and ransack the playroom to see what other treasures I could find, but I felt it would be impolite. My friend knows me well enough to understand my toy fever, but his mum doesnít.

Seeing a pic of that chromed plastic devil head again gives me a proper frisson of nostalgia.

This and the talk of Rothís and Barrisí crazy car designs on the other thread remind me of something I collected as a kid. They were little die cast and plastic cars, maybe made by Matchbox, about 30mm long, with crazy designs. There were ones with a devil head, a baby bonnet and one was a four posted bed. Anyone remember those?
BAZ

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were called ZOWEES by Hot Wheels.
Here's a site:
http://www.toycarcollector.com/zowees.htm
KB

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you like, and glad you've both got some great memories of these. They were really common, so I'm suprised there's not more about them on the net.

Here's pics of the Black Knight nicked off e-bay, this one didn't seem to be part of the original line up.

I remember the Zowies, I've still got the knight, bandit, stage coach and pram knocking about in the loft. Think mine came in a box of four. Custom rods in the UK were a real 70's thing, like drag racing and banger racing on world of sport.

Just had a look at Evel Knievel toys on Plaid Stallions, while I said I didn't want the stunt cycle as a kid, I did hanker for the dragster. I didn't realise there were a lot more Evel toys in the US than were ever released in the UK - seems to be standard theme.
BAZ

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, the mid 70's I was buying every issue of "Custom Car".....
I DID get a few strange looks from the lady in the newsagents
as they populated every feature with naked ladies!!!
(the magazine editors, not the newsagent!)
My Mum didn't mind me reading it!
monolith

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never had any Scream'n Demons,though they're cool, but I've got two Zowees;Diablo and Red Lighter.
hypnotator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's them Baz. Ah, the memories...
BAZ

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used yo have a few as well.
I was a Matchbox car kid.
Mum used to buy me one nearly every week it seemed (although
it was every two weeks Mum later told me!!)
Man I loved them!!
I'm ALMOST tempted to start collecting them again, just for
nostalgia.
But I collect too much anyway!
hypnotator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too. You gotta draw the line somewhere or you'd disappear under it all.

I wasn't much into cars even as a kid. It was always action figures for me, but the Zowees had a certain something and I had a couple.

The Scream'n Deamons Black Knight is rather colourful.
KB

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BAZ wrote:
I used yo have a few as well.
I was a Matchbox car kid.
Mum used to buy me one nearly every week it seemed (although
it was every two weeks Mum later told me!!)
Man I loved them!!
I'm ALMOST tempted to start collecting them again, just for
nostalgia.
But I collect too much anyway!

Ahh Yes, Matchbox cars, our local post office had a display in the window, and I would get the occasional car from there, each car sitting on its box, all 75 of them - great window - plus there where the big displays in toy shops with all the cars on that rotated round when you pushed the buttons on the display.

Being a bit of a horder I still have all my old Matchbox cars and can remember when I got most of them.

As for Custom Cars, I think its a bit more restrained than it used to be. Seems the magazines for the hot hatch mod brigade have taken up (or off) that mantle.
BAZ

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah, yeah I remember the display cases with the cars on the boxes!!
I was only looking at Matchbox about 5 months ago.
But I HAD to resist!
I'm trying to sell some stuff now
to make space (I collect TOO much!! In fact
I'm a professional dust collector!!)
BUT............. One day I'm gonna get a Matchbox collection
again!
microbry

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BAZ wrote:
They were called ZOWEES by Hot Wheels.
Here's a site:
http://www.toycarcollector.com/zowees.htm

Hells yeah! I got into these the same time as I got my first Micronauts. Had a good batch of them, most of them are still around, now on my brother's collection shelf as he wound up with them after I lost interest in toy cars when I grew older. Micronauts hit me as I was in the thick of my Matchbox and Hot Wheels stuff (plus a couple of Corgis, two of which--a little corvette and a jeep--were I believe the first and most treasured mini-cars in my toybox and are still with me today). Great times.

There was also a short-lived really cartoony painted plastic (but weighted inside) toy car line from wallace berrie, and I recently unearthed 3 of the four or five I had, scratched to hell but still rather unique and I can't seem to find much about them on the net last I dug around. I remember they had decorated boxes too which each matched the theme of the car and were sold at Hallmark's greeting cards shops or something like that. There was a purple hippie van, a green dump truck, a police car (that I'm missing now), and a yellow and black Rolls-Royce, maybe some others and they all looked to me like they were made out of melting candy or something like that. I believe each of the cars had individual names for them on the boxes, but not on the car itself so I've long forgotten what they were. I should photograph the little buggers one of these days.

EDIT: Ah never mind, here we are:
http://www.jubys.com/rr.html

I doubt my mom would have let me buy anything with "demon" in the name back then, lol. How times have changed...
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    visibleinnards.org Forum Index -> walder approved non-cyborg toys All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: